Manager of Outpatient Registration
The Manager of Outpatient Registration is an integral part of the revenue cycle, responsible for the front-end outpatient registration related activities across Duke Health. The manager is responsible for the development, implementation and management of front end related revenue cycle policies and procedures, technology and front end performance metrics.
The scope of outpatient registration includes but is not limited to patient experience, patient identity, scheduling, check-in and check out, cash collections and management, referrals and order management, and loss prevention (denial prevention) and internal controls.
The Manager is also responsible for these activities in coordination and partnership with local clinic leadership. The Manager is responsible for living and modeling Duke’s values and demonstrating expected behaviors while contributing to creating a positive patient experience and building a positive work environment.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level:
- Manage, communicate and align strategies for registration improvement across the health system. Provide input on departmental strategies to meet PRMO and DUHS goals and performance metrics.
- Work with clinic leadership to identify barriers to workflows and those that impact the patient experience.
- Develop and administer registration system level policies and procedures; ensuring compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Maintain knowledge of registration operations and support local management teams on resolution of issues affecting department.
- Develop and monitor key performance indicators. Achieve Balanced Scorecard results. Provide performance results to leadership and assist in the development and implementation of action plans for performance improvement.
- Monitor and ensure compliance with registration internal control performance across the system.
- Serve as expert on regulations regarding registration as well as other revenue cycle requirements and regulations. Engage with other departments as needed to ensure compliance.
- Recommend and support technology implementations affecting department. Assist in identification of new technologies that will improve registration operations.
- Serve as an internal consultant on registration issues with PDC, hospitals, PRMO leadership and external departments.
- Prepare departmental budget. Ensure appropriate use of all resources.
- Develop, implement and maintain staff education and training modules as it relates to outpatient registration. Review and update registration related onboarding and competency orientation materials annually. Provide ongoing staff education and development.
- Manage all personnel related activities pertaining to recruitment, hiring, retaining and developing staff. Manage performance and complete performance evaluations.
- Engage with staff routinely rounding and meeting with direct reports on a monthly basis.
General Description of Job Class:
Manage registration related activities in the outpatient arena across Duke Health to achieve continuous and optimal patient care, providing the highest level of customer service, while ensuring compliance with PDC, DUHS and PRMO policies while maintaining positive financial outcomes. Promotes a positive work environment that values individuals, teams and their commitment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Solid understanding of all departmental related functions – principles and practices related to outpatient registration and clinic operations.
- General understanding of all revenue cycle functions and interrelationships. Knowledge of Federal, state and local regulations governing patient access/registration activities. Experience in process improvement.
- Experience in budgeting.
- Strong leadership presence and skills.
- Proven capabilities in building and leading teams.
- Ability to work with others in a cooperative, collaborative manner.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
Epic experience preferred
MS Office Applications (Word, Excel, Visio, Access)
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level:
On occasion evening or weekend work may be required.
Position may be subject to numerous interruptions.
All job performance relates to the strategic goals of DUHS and its entities. All DUHS staff are expected to live Duke’s Core Value: Caring for our patients, their loved ones and each other. Demonstrating commitment to excellence, safety, integrity, diversity and teamwork.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Staff members may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Requisition Number 401486137
Duke Entity PRMO
Job Code 5122 MANAGER, PATIENT REVENUE
Job Family Level G2
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Bachelors degree required. Masters degree preferred.
Work requires 5 years of experience in business or other applicable experience. A master's degree in a related field, such as business or health administration, may be substituted for experience on a 1:1 basis.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Certifications in patient access or patient accounting preferred.
Auto req ID