Assess, plan and implement the patient care requirements and treatment necessary for cardiopulmonary bypass/assistance before, during or after surgery. Operate the heart/lung machine to support the patient.
I. Job Responsibility:
Management of Cardiopulmonary Bypass (CPB) Standard:
- Appropriately assess patient profile and manage CPB
- Use appropriate equipment/supplies and monitor data based on patient profile (age, condition, procedure).
- Appropriately communicate with open-heart team personnel during procedures
- Recognize and resolve variances and abnormal situations that may arise
- Utilize all available safety devices during cardiopulmonary bypass as per departmental policy
- Demonstrate appropriate clinical vigilance and awareness before, during and after cardiopulmonary bypass
- Facilitate discussion with health care team which includes medical record review, decisions needed for prime selection, drug and blood additives, techniques of cardiopulmonary bypass.
II. Job Responsibility
Ancillary Perfusion Procedures Standard:
- Demonstrate competence and comprehensive knowledge of all ancillary procedures as per departmental policy.
- Competence in cardiac assist devices to include VADs, ECMO, IABP, PCPS, left heart bypass,VV bypass for liver transplant, hyperthermic isolated limb perfusion, autotransfusion, to include platelet gel processing.
- Assess patient profile and manage ancillary procedures by using appropriate equipment and monitoring data
- Recognize when situations are critical, notify appropriate personnel and assist as needed
- Troubleshoot all technical devices
III. Job Responsibility
Information Management Standard:
- Create and maintain accurate, complete and legible records.
- Timely documentation according to departmental standards
- Communicate product failures, technical and patient incidents per departmental policy
- Complete and file necessary paperwork and labeling according to departmental policy.
- Provides concise and accurate shift report ' Appropriate database information entry
- Maintain patient confidentiality
- Demonstrate knowledge of DUMC Perfusion Services policy and procedure via staff meeting, memos, communication book, bulletin boards email, etc.
- Appropriately communicate significant issues to charge staff.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Exposure to hazardous waste and infectious materials.
- Physical abilities to complete job duties and responsibilities under prescribed environmental and working conditions.
Requisition Number 401485265
Duke Entity DUKE HOSPITAL
Job Code 5077 PERFUSIONIST
Job Family Level I2
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Completion of an accredited cardiovascular perfusion training program. B.S. degree in perfusion technology or life science or allied health specialty (e.g. Nursing, Respiratory Therapy, Medical Technology)
None required beyond education/training
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Certification by the American Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion.
New grads tenure contingent on passing ABCP exam.
Validated for Basic Life Support and successfully complete JCAHO and other regulatory requirements within the probationary period.
Auto req ID