Salary: $14.00 - 19.24
Department: Institute for Genetic Medicine
Work Schedule/Hours: Monday-Friday/6am-6pm (shifts are flexible)
Location: East Baltimore Campus
Personnel area: School of Medicine
This position will be responsible for sample handling, planning and executing molecular genetics tests (i.e., genotyping or sequencing) on large numbers of DNA samples.
Specific duties & responsibilities:
- Will be trained to accomplish some or all of the following tasks:
- Prepare and complete SNP genotyping assays including, but not limited to, Illumina assays and workflows.
- Prepare samples for targeted capture of specific regions of DNA for sequencing experiments. This includes library preparation and capture techniques.
- Prepare and complete Next-Gen sequencing assays including, but not limited to, Illumina HiSeq workflows.
- Perform quality control checks of data using various software, including, but not limited to, GenomeStudio, Spotfire and other in-house QC metrics reports.
- Set up polymerase chain reactions; trouble-shoot such reactions.
- Operate and troubleshoot robotic liquid handlers
- Work with laboratory information system (LIMS) for all experiments.
- Identify issues with LIMS and assist programmers with validation of fixes.
- Perform validation tests of lab reagents.
- Participate in committees that function to improve processes.
- Collect, organize, interpret and submit experimental data to database and supervisors.
- Maintain timely and accurate laboratory records (electronic and written).
- Perform general lab maintenance duties.
- Barcode and enter sample associated information into the database.
- Transfer DNA samples into 96-well plate format.
- Receive and prepare deepwell DNA stock plates and create working DNA plates.
- Determine concentration and volume of DNA samples using various instruments.
- Dilute samples to working concentrations.
- Maintain and monitor inventory of all in-house DNA samples and reagent supplies.
- Communicate effectively to supervisor and team members.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in biological sciences and requires flexible work hours beginning as early as 6:00 a.m. and/or ending as late as 6:00 p.m.
- The job requires superior organizational skills for time and data management.
- Ability to function well in a team production setting is necessary.
Special knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Technical qualifications or specialized certifications: Centrifuges, Illumina BeadLab system (Tecans, iScans, HiScans, TeFlow), Covaris, BioAnalyzer, Nanodrop instruments, Illumina HiSeq, Illumina MiSeq, thermal cyclers, robotic and manual liquid handlers, common laboratory equipment, Macintosh, PC computers, UNIX servers, MySQL database, qPCR, Fragment Analyzer, laboratory information system (LIMS)
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information