Research Services Officer
Location : University of Manchester Library, Oxford Road
Closing Date : 17/09/2018
Salary : £26,495 to 30,688 per annum (according to relevant experience)
Employment Type : Permanent
Faculty / Organisational Unit : Library & Cultural Institutions
Division : Research Services
Hours Per week : 35 Hours
The University of Manchester Library is one of only five National Research Libraries and the third largest academic library in the UK. Our vast and rich collections (both print and increasingly digital) help us to deliver a world-class library and information service for the University of Manchester. While our primary objective is to meet the learning, teaching and research needs of University members, we are also fully committed to widening access to our services to individual researchers, local schools and others in the regional community.
We are seeking a proactive and enthusiastic individual to join our Research Services division, a successful team that delivers specialist services to the University's research staff and PhD students. This role is part of our Scholarly Communication Service and involves handling APC requests, and providing advice on Open Access and dissemination of research.
We are looking for someone who meets the essential criteria in the job description as well as the requirements listed below:
- Experience of working with research staff in a higher education setting
- Experience of working in an Open Access support service
- Good awareness of the scholarly communication support needs of research staff and PhD students
- Experience of providing high quality enquiry support and ability to explain complex information clearly
- Experience of developing training guides
- Ability to work to a high standard under pressure
- Ability and willingness to embrace change
You should demonstrate how you meet each of the required criteria by giving specific examples in the “additional information” section of the online application form.
Culture and Values – Our Five Ways of Working
The University of Manchester Library strives to create a working environment that is supportive and rewarding providing a platform from which we can achieve our ambitious strategy.
- Empowerment – Empowering and supporting individuals to take more risks
- Openness – More questioning and working with greater openness and trust
- Inclusion – Creating an inclusive culture by recognising each other’s differences and strengths
- Responsibility – Taking collective responsibility to achieve our shared goals
- Support – Delighting in our success whilst supporting each other through adversity
This post is based in the Main Library however all Library employees are required to work at any Library site, as necessary.
All Library staff are required to wear a name badge.
As an equal opportunities employer, we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons. As we are committed to the principles of the Race Equality Charter Mark, we would particularly welcome applications from the black and minority ethnic (BME) community who are currently under-represented at this level in this area. All appointments will be made on merit.
Please note that we are unable to respond to enquiries, accept CVs or applications from Recruitment Agencies
Enquiries about vacancy shortlisting and interviews:
Name: Helen Dobson
Tel: 0161 275 4499
Tel: 0161 850 2004
This vacancy will close for applications at midnight on the closing date