Grants And Contracts Administrator
- Create verbal and written reports. Have knowledge of federal rules and regulations relating to research grant distribution or related cost-sharing obligations.
- Manage budget, reporting and compliance timelines through the lifecycle of the grant or contract; communicate new WBSEs to appropriate department personnel.
- Establish sub-recipient financial and reporting requirements; coordinate issuance of sub-agreements with ORA and ORS.
- Review and evaluate the Site Based Research charge assignment grids based on the schedule of events and protocol for the study.
- Reconcile monthly budget reports and inform PI and/or supervisor of corrections/adjustments that have been made. As requirements change, prepare and submit requests for re-budgeting/modifying the funded project budget.
- Reconcile and close all sub-recipient budgets and obtain sponsor-required reports. Monitor compliance with agency and University regulations regarding reporting.
- Maintain financial records per the institutional documents retention guidelines.
- Ensure process (SOP) is in place within the unit for proper handling of sponsor checks for deposit and recording in the appropriate fund codes. This must be handled in accordance with the institutions check handling process.
- Monitor and determine appropriate charging of patient care expenses to the study fund codes.
- Interpret departmental policies and procedures, making decisions on specific operating problems and issuing instructions on behalf of unit.
- Manage overdrafts in line with unit procedures and institution guidance.
- Ensure proper recording of revenue associated with all studies; apply revenue management standards.
- Closeout all funded projects consistent with university process and timelines.
- Apply federal and university rules to management of effort allocation appropriately for individuals compensated whole or in part from federal awards.
- Submit reports to the Divisional Administrator/Business Manager when requested.
- Performs pre-award and/or post award activities for a unit (school, department, division, institute, or center).
- Pre-award activities include assisting departmental faculty/PI in the development, preparation, and submission of grant and contract proposals.
- Ensure all applications meet agency and university guidelines and published time tables and deadlines.
- Ensure proposals are entered and routed in a timely manner for further review.
- Post-award activities include detailed reconciliation of assigned project budgets, preparing complex budget reports, preparing adjustments and corrections in assigned project budgets for further review and approval in order to meet project goals and federal requirements.
- This position is responsible for managing an assigned portfolio of complex grants and contracts using knowledge of grant and contract management rules and regulations, technical expertise, and analytical skills.
- Manager assigned projects and financial project portfolios. Develop budgets and budget justification which include proofing the budget for inconsistencies and ensuring accuracy.
- Advise the PI on administrative requirements in preparing proposal submissions.
- Prepare, coordinate and review certain proposal elements (biosketches and facilities & resources) for consistency, accuracy, and completeness.
- Monitor compliance with agency and University regulations regarding submission; verify all financial information to include application of the appropriate overhead rate for the project.
- Review sponsored projects through SPS to ORA/ORS to ensure compliance with University procedures and institutional signatures.
- Ensure understanding of the current fiscal performance of studies and identify areas of concern that need resolution.
- Advise PI on budget adjustments and revisions necessary to meet the sponsor requirements.
- Monitor proposal status and advise PI on requirements and deadlines associated with research protection protocols.
- Develop project management plan for review by the PI or senior level grants administrator.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Ability to analyze data and formulate conclusions. Ability to learn changing technologies related to grants and contracts management. Proficient use of computers; requires solid working knowledge of MS Office Suite (Word, Access, Excel, Power Point). Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing with all levels of the organization. Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects/tasks simultaneously. Knowledge of Duke University policies and procedures relating to grant and contracts activity. Knowledge of Duke University processes, systems and offices related to and/or involved in grant and contract submission and management. Understand and be able to apply federal and university rules to management of effort allocation for individuals compensated whole or in part from federal awards. Understand and be able to apply costing rules and regulations to federally funded projects. Experience with/Ability to perform required functions in SPS, R3, grants.duke and SES relating to assigned duties. Understand financial processes and controls including the reconciliation process