Medical Assistant Certified, South Durham Signature Care
Duke Signature Care of South Durham
Perform routine administrative and patient care supportive duties in a Health System medical practice to assist medical and/or nursing staff in the examination and treatment of patients and ensure office runs smoothly. Provide concierge care in the Primary Care Medical Home setting (Signature Care) and Health and Wellness program (Executive Health.)
- Participate in daily huddles with providers and clinical team.
- Perform patient intake and documentation utilizing double identifiers so that patient is ready to be seen by provider in clinic (Reason for visit, Vital Signs, Medication Reconciliation, Falls Risk, Goals, Learning Assessment, PHQ2/9, Patient Screening for Immunizations, appropriate forms, etc.)
- Maintains current knowledge of polices/procedures as set forth by the PDC, other regulatory agencies, and those that are clinic specific. (Infection Control, Environment of Care, Joint Commission/ PCMH, etc.)
- Participates in own professional development by maintaining required competencies, assessing learning needs, and continuing education as required by the Medical Assistant/ other Certification Agencies and PDC Medical Assistant Clinical Ladder
- Assist/chaperone provider with procedures (Pap smear, Breast/Rectal exams, Shave Biopsy, Intra-articular Injection/Aspiration, etc.)
- Address Staff Messages, Patient Prescription Refill Requests (no controlled substances, insulin, or warfarin), Patient calls, Prior Authorizations, faxing, etc. during work shift.
- Perform EKG’s, ear lavage, administer PO, IM, ID, SQ, topical & inhalation medications (not requiring calculation), Immunizations, nebulizer treatments, simple wound dressings & pulse oximetry as needed.
- Performs checks/ Maintains clinic logs (for equipment/supplies, refrigerators, running controls)
- Clean exam rooms, stock, check for expiration dates, and document on appropriate log.
- Labels patient documents and scans into Maestro.
- Monitors inventory and reports to charge nurse/nurse manager for ordering.
- Maintains orderly work environment by keeping work station clean/tidy, hallways and patient care areas hazard free.
- Participates in clinic or entity level Performance Improvement activities (DMAIC, Hand Hygiene, etc.)
- Perform Phlebotomy, Point of Care Testing, Gajema lab processing
- Assist other nursing personnel in the delivery of patient care; Assist with onboarding of new staff.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Consistently demonstrates values and behaviors reflective of Duke’s Core Values (teamwork, integrity, diversity, excellence, and safety)
- Demonstrates a positive attitude during change
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS/ PREFERENCES:
High school or GED graduation required. Graduation from a medical assistant program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) strongly preferred.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS/ PREFERENCES:
At least 1 year of clinical experience as a Medical Assistant in a clinical setting preferred.
LICENSURE/ CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Certification by AAMA or AMT required. Certification by AAMA preferred. Current BLS through the American Heart Association required.
- Must be able to work under time pressures in a busy clinic/office environment.
- Must be present on site for8 hour shifts during standard business hours.
- Must participate in group activities requiring interpersonal skills & cooperation.
- Must work as late/early person when scheduled or according to business needs
- Must be able to react quickly and immediately respond to emergencies.
- Must travel between locations on needed basis.
- Must be able to handle multiple assignments, conflicting demands & priorities.
- Must maintain attention to detail over extended period of time.
- Must be continually aware of variations in changing situations.
- Must be able to move throughout office environment throughout day.
- Must be able to lift minimum 35 lbs.
- Must be able to push/pull minimum 35 lbs.
- Must be able to carry minimum 35 lbs.