Clinical Technician II
Working Monday - Friday from 3:00pm - 9:30pm
Perform a variety of the technical procedures involved in the procurement, processing and evaluation of patient specimens for use in the diagnosis and treatment of disease; teach and perform routine clerical and technical procedures including specimen collection, responsible for the delivery of supplies and procurement of specimens from physicians’ offices, clinical specimen preparation and processing for analysis and dispatch, patient registration and order entry; and serve as hospital laboratory representative and liaison with outside clients.
- Perform a variety of routine and specialized procedures.
- Prepare and initiate special tests and procedures including, but not limited to, cytogenetics, general laboratory, Point-of-Care Testing, urinalysis without microscope, phlebotomy, cyto preparatory, and specimen management.
- Communicate in a professional and courteous manner with patients, family and other medical personnel as necessary for problem recognition and initiation of the resolution and, if necessary, escalation to the next level. Obtain information for laboratory records, explain procedures, allay fears and elicit cooperation.
- Perform a variety of routine and specialized specimen preparation procedures including, but not limited to, general laboratory specimen preparation, cytology specimen preparation, cytogentics specimen preparation.
- Perform various quality control, safety, and infection control procedures to maintain compliance with internal and external regulations.
- Receive and process specimens as required by respective laboratory area procedures and protocols.
- Participate in the distribution of specimens, supplies and reports to the appropriate laboratory staff; perform messenger/courier activities as required.
- Maintain inventory of supplies; stock supplies on carts and hand trays; wash glassware.
- Utilize various hospital information systems and software
- Assist in training new personnel; provide technical assistance to new employees, students as assigned.
- Maintain specimens and/or slides. Prepare reagents, dyes, etc. used in the processing of specimens.
- Perform routine maintenance as required by laboratory procedures.
- Assist with word processing, miscellaneous office tasks and maintaining office records.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Basic phlebotomy and specimen processing techniques.
- Knowledge of medical terms preferred.
- Basic computer skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Effective professional communication skills to interact with patients/ customers.