Clinical Nurse Educator, DUH, New Graduate Residency Program
DUHS CLINICAL EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL D
Clinical Nurse Educator for Orientation – Duke Health System – Day Shift
Duke University Health System seeks to hire a Clinical Nurse Educator for the New Graduate Nurse Residency Program who will embrace our mission of Advancing Health Together.
The DUHS Clinical Education and Professional Development Department is active in delivering exemplary care to ensure an excellent patient experience, every time.
This position is responsible for implementation of the Nurse Residency Curriculum for Duke University Hospital. This Educator will also have shared departmental teaching responsibilities including American Heart Association Basic and Advanced Life Support, orientation, and professional development courses.
Work Hours & Shifts:
Full Time: Days
Duke Nursing Highlights:
- All three Duke Hospitals have received Magnet designation for excellence in nursing.
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year as North Carolina’s Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance!
- Tuition Reimbursement!
The Clinical Nurse Educator (CNE) across the entities of Duke Medicine by providing staff development expertise as an educator, consultant, facilitator, change agent, leaders and researcher. Each supports the development of the bedside nurse, and fosters empowerment through knowledge to achieve excellence through the delivery of evidenced based nursing practice.
This occurs through the facilitation of the educational process through assessment, development, planning, implementation and evaluation of competency assessment, continuing education and leadership development. In addition, as a role model of professional behavior, the CNE is instrumental in creating a professional nursing climate within Duke Medicine to meet the needs of the diverse units within DUHS and the global needs of Duke Medicine. Must be able to withstand physical activity which includes the ability to move or lift at least 50 pounds. Travel may be required to facilitate collaboration with entities across Duke Medicine.
- Conducts needs assessments using a variety of strategic tools
- Assists learners in the assessment of needs and identification of outcomes
- Incorporates principles of adult learning in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of education programs
- Coordinates orientation of new staff to the organization
- Develops/coordinates education plans related to initial and ongoing competency validation
- Develops/coordinates core education to address patient population specific nursing care
- Develops/coordinates core education for the development of beside leaders
- Plans, prepares and maintains materials for use in educational programs for accuracy and relevance to the target audience
- Identifies and evaluates instructional materials in all types of media and formats
- Adjusts content and teaching strategies appropriate learner needs
- Provides educational opportunities that benefit nurses at all stages of their career development
- Delivers competence based programs for nursing staff with a focus upon improvement of skills and retention of knowledge
- Develops evidence-based educational materials
- Supports staff development with educational activities (which include remediation, certification, mentoring, life support, JCAHO requirements, product roll-outs, etc)
- Evaluates the effectiveness of educational programming
- Prepares short and long term planning and programs to address identified needs
- Teaches content as needed and/or assigned within clinical expertise to facilitate orientation, staff development and/or safe practice Consultant:
- Serves as an educational consultant to facilities, task forces, committees, and projects relating to policy, procedure and program development
- Responses to regulatory mandates for research and management of sentinel events
- Responds to identified needs of Duke Medicine to promote quality patient care and safety
- Collaborates with Duke Medicine to recommend educational strategies for the implementation clinical standards
- Consults with staff regarding individual learning needs Researcher:
- Supports the integration of research into practice
- Provides information to document effectiveness of role as a staff development educator
- Incorporates current educational evidence into individual practice as a staff development expert
- Conducts and/or contributes to nursing research
- Interprets, communicates, and incorporates research findings into program planning Facilitator:
- Facilitates the adult learning process, creating a climate which supports learning across the health system
- Identifies and recruits internal and external resources (nurse, doctor, other specialists) for educational activities
- Coordinates educational activities (includes continuing education credit, clinical affiliations, nurse residency, etc) across Duke Medicine
- Participates in committees, task forces, projects for areas of coverage and Duke Medicine
- Facilitates teambuilding and leadership development for areas of coverage and Duke Medicine
- Participates in review of activities or processes for area of coverage and department Change Agent:
- Responds to changes in nursing practice and develops programs to support those changes
- Ensures that educational programs are congruent with organizational missions, values, and goals
- Maintains flexibility when managing multiple roles and responsibilities
- Interprets and communicates across multiple disciplines
- Promotes a safe and healthy work environment Leader:
- Serves as a role model to promote excellence and safety
- Maintains required educational and/or clinical competencies
- Seek opportunities to develop staff in various roles
- Integrates ethical principles in all aspects of practice
- Serves as a role model for education and professional nursing practice
- Role models and promotes the concept of life long learning
- Leads committees, work groups and/or projects related to the implementation of educational activities
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Basic Computer Skills in Microsoft office, knowledge of audiovisual equipment set up an advantage.
Requisition Number 401481752
Duke Entity HEALTH SYSTEM
Job Code 5021 CLINICAL NURSE EDUCATOR
Job Family Level F3
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Knowledge, Skills, Education, and Experience Required:
BSN required, MSN preferred.
5 years of nursing, clinical educator, or nursing instructor experience required. A Master's Degree in Nursing may substituted for 2 years of required experience.
Licensure, Certification or Registration Required:
- Current registration with North Carolina State Board of Nursing as a registered professional nurse OR current compact RN licensure to practice in the state of North Carolina required.
- BLS (or higher) certification required. ACLS, PALS, and/or NRP Instructor level certification is preferred.
- Professional specialty certification (preferred).
Pre-employment Physical Capacity Testing Required:
Click here for more information
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Registered Nurse, RN, education, new grad, teaching
Auto req ID