Classified Title: Director Admissions
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday -Friday with some weekends and evenings included
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: 46-MD:JH at Harbor East
Department name: 60000036-Admissions
Personnel area: Carey Business School
The Director of Admissions provides strategic, forward-looking leadership and effective management for the Office of Admissions at the Carey Business School.
Reporting to the Associate Dean for Admissions and Academic Programs, the Director of Admissions is responsible for assisting in the development of the Carey Business School’s admissions and recruitment strategy in the national and international marketplace, and attaining goals related to student quantity and quality.
The Director is dually focused on both long-term objectives as well as day-to-day internal operations and processes. The Director partners with all other School units, particularly faculty, marketing, academic programs, student services, and alumni relations, as well as Admissions Directors from other JHU schools with which Carey has dual academic programs.
Key responsibilities include:
- Design and implementation of data-driven marketing, recruitment, admissions, and yield strategies designed to meet ambitious enrollment goals;
- Recruit an increasingly diverse and talented student body demonstrating strong quantitative and qualitative traits.
- Manage admissions processing; management and optimization of available application, promotion, and yield technologies;
- Direct quality assessment of admissions applications;
- Representation of Carey Business School to domestic and international academic institutions, alumni, professional development partners, and prospective students;
- Recruit, hire and onboard admission staff;
- Manage the admissions operational budget.
- Report to school leadership on admissions activities, recruitment pipeline numbers and enrollment projects.
Specific duties & responsibilities:
Admissions Management & Data-Driven Planning
- Together with the Associate Dean, develops and implements the full-time student recruitment and admission strategy
- Analyzes market research, together with the marketing department, to guide the establishment of strategic objectives, School goals, and recruitment strategies
- Develops plans for local inquiry generation
- Develops plans for using databases to enhance marketing for full-time programs
- Formulates, disseminates, and conducts ongoing review and evaluation of admissions policies to maintain a competitive position in the marketplace, achieve the desired mix of new students and ensure consistent, timely and fair guideline, policies and procedures
Communication and Coordination of Activities
- Manages how staff approaches conversions of inquiry to applicant and admitted applicant to new student
- Coordinates recruitment activities (particularly for part-time programs) with contracted business partners, including Wiley Education Services
- Coordinates admissions activities with marketing department activities to ensure ample student inquiries to produce desired enrollments
- Manages staff located in Baltimore and Washington DC
- Promotes the School and its programs through formal and informal interactions with prospective students, parents, peer institutions, and companies.
- Implements and monitors ongoing coaching to ensure all Admissions representatives exhibit accurate, current, and comprehensive program and admissions knowledge
- Advises academic departments and programs on admission standards and eligibility.
- Directly or through staff, works closely with Financial Aid, Student Services and Registrar to ensure a smooth enrollment for accepted students including scholarship recipients
- Regularly reviews department processes and use of information technology to maintain efficient and effective processing
- Ensures compliance with all School, federal, state, University and accreditation standards and requirements
- The Director of Admissions produces and manages the department’s budget.
- Represent Carey on select internal University committees as well as in external associations.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, as needed.
Minimum qualifications (mandatory):
- A Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Five years related experience required.
- Additional education may substitute for required experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
- A successful record of accomplishment in graduate student recruitment.
- Experience working in international markets.
- Results-oriented and devoted to accomplishing the admissions goals.
- Knowledge of technology at it relates to admissions and higher education; understanding of admissions data and databases, and statistical analysis.
- Exceptional project management, time management and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated management experience with the ability to successfully build, develop, motivate, and lead a culturally diverse team.
- Demonstrated competency in working with the needs of diverse student populations.
- Excellent communication skills: written, oral and presentation.
- A Master’s degree is strongly preferred, in Business, HR, Higher Education, or a closely related field.
- 10+ years of progressive experience in higher education admissions or in a related field.
Special knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Knowledge of the Carey Business School programs.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize and leverage data and metric driven performance processes.
- Knowledge of program budget development and management.
- Knowledge of customer service theory, specifically customer/constituent relationship management.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with a varied constituency including faculty, staff, students and industry representatives.
- Management skills with demonstrated ability to effectively develop, lead and motivate a workforce of professional and administrative staff.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a diverse workforce.
- Strong attention to detail, highly organized and results oriented.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in the use of a variety of desktop software packages, including MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access) for use in correspondence, analysis, information management and presentations.
- Presents self in a professional and polished manner.
- Strong experience in working in international settings; cross cultural competence and experience of working in a multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent critical thinking skills and ability to execute effectively.
- Ability to conduct research on admissions trends.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information