HIM Specialist, Data Integrity
General Description of the Job Class:
Independently performs specialized or advanced health information activities necessary to organize, maintain, and use electronic patient health records. Activities required include research, analysis and compilation of findings into summarized reports that will be shared within and external to the Health Information Management Department.
Positions at this level have high customer service, strong analytic and problem solving skills, require interpretation and explanation of policy and external requirements related to, privacy, positive patient identity, and other department and organization-wide functions. Specific job responsibilities are based on the service unit within Health Information Management assigned. Expert computer skills needed to navigate and query multiple electronic record systems.
Patient Identity Management: regular interactions required with patients, attorneys, insurance companies, providers of healthcare and governmental agencies. Detailed working knowledge and ability to apply State and Federal laws regarding positive patient identification, identity theft, vital records regulations, Joint Commission requirements, and CMS guidelines and rules.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Researches through comparison of demographic and clinical information and resolves patient identification problems referred by external departments or patients for fraudulent identity use, such as identity theft
- Performs concurrent and retrospective contact moves.
- Analyzes the content of health record document, coordinates with responsible providers, clinicians, and ancillary department participating in the patient’s care for record correction requirements to resolution.
- Leads clinical, ancillary and financial staff to assist in resolving overlay issues of multiple patient information in one medical record to resolve overlay within 24 hours of discovery of overlay.
- Participates in 24-hour on-call rotation.
- Maintains enterprise master patient index integrity medical record number merges, un-merges and medical record number assignments electronically.
- Performs name and demographic changes with supporting documentation.
- Works with management to compile and review reports of duplicate numbers, overlays, contact moves errors and identifies patterns related to user and type of error.
Requisition Number 401458409
Duke Entity PRMO
Job Code 4552 SPECIALIST, HIM
Job Family Level D2
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department
Associates degree in Health Information Management required; .
Two years' experience in health care preferred.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
RHIT or eligible required
Auto req ID