Educational Developer (Teaching and Practice)
EDUCATIONAL DEVELOPER (TEACHING AND PRACTICE)
DEPARTMENT: INSTITUTE OF LEADERSHIP & EDUCATION ADVANCED DEVELOPMENT (ILEAD)
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: EDUCATIONAL MANAGEMENT
SALARY: 21,611 – 33,222 RMB/month
POSITION OPEN DATE: 28-Aug-19
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 27-Sep-19
JOB ID: 995904
CONTRACT TYPE: Full time
UNIVERSITY AND DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW:
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a unique collaborative institution and the first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for all programmes. Formed in 2006, the first cohort of students graduated in August 2010. The University now has over 10,000 students studying on campus. The language of instruction is English. XJTLU aims to become truly research-led, and has recently committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of PhD student numbers on campus.
XJTLU is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP). Suzhou has been ranked the 74th most liveable city in the 2018 Global Liveability Index. Additionally, it is well-connected via nearby airports to cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei, and via high-speed rail to other major cities in China. SIP is a major growth zone, including operations run by nearly one-fifth of the Fortune 500 top global companies. Greater Suzhou is now the fourth largest concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP, and the SIP has a higher GDP per capita than the UK. The broader Suzhou area encompasses the spirit of both old and new in China, with the historic old town’s canals, UNESCO World Heritage Site gardens, and the I.M. Pei-designed Suzhou Museum attracting millions of tourists annually. SIP offers an excellent quality of life with high environmental standards. The nearby Jinji Lake provides attractive views, by day and by night, and there is a variety of shopping facilities, international and local restaurants, entertainment hubs and nightlife. Suzhou is also home to four international schools.
ILEAD is a unique and leading centre for education innovation, development, and education of educators (degree programmes) in education globally. Its key customers include XJTLU students, XJTLU staff, as well as local, regional, national and international educational practitioners and institutions.
The main business of ILEAD includes:
- Pedagogical programmes (Postgraduate Taught and PhD degree programmes)
- Support for XJTLU student learning
- Educational and professional development for XJTLU staff
- Global community for education innovation
- Training and development initiatives for external educators and professionals in education sector
- Research on future university (internationalization, learning and teaching, educational leadership, educational management).
The Educational Development Unit (EDU) is one of the fundamental academic units within ILEAD. The EDU is responsible for the educational and professional development for XJTLU academic staff by running the Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching and Supporting Learning in Higher Education programme (PGCert), which is accredited by the Higher Education Academy in UK. The unit also includes an educational technology team that support the overall educational technological development, as well as the use of technology of staff, in learning and teaching activities.
The broad mandate of the Educational Developer position is to support the implementation across XJTLU of learning and teaching. This is mainly achieved through the delivery of institutional academic development programmes; primarily, the PGCert programme, and other Continuing Professional Development (CPD) programmes. Other areas of support include providing assistance and guidance on peer review, and curriculum and assessment design, as well as collaborating with departments to develop specific learning and teaching strategies, events, or activities. As appropriate, the Educational Developer will conduct research on teaching and learning, develop pedagogical resources, and lead workshops and other events for faculty, students and staff. Applicants should note that this is a teaching and practice position.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Support the implementation, across the institution, of the University’s vision for Learning and Teaching.
- Delivery of modules on the PGCert programme.
- Support the development of an institutional CPD framework and ready relevant documentation for approval by the respective committees at XJTLU and the University of Liverpool, as well as accreditation by the Higher Education Academy (HEA).
- Provide expert and specialist advice and guidance to academic staff in developing excellence in teaching with a primary view of enhancing the student learning experience at XJTLU.
- Develop collaborative networks to identify and disseminate good practices in teaching and learning and evaluates their effectiveness.
- Recommend, lead and facilitate the effective sharing of good practices in assessments and other student evaluation.
- Act as a consultant/coach to academic staff seeking to enhance the quality of their teaching.
- Maintain and develop resources, including websites and other tools that facilitate national and international good practice in learning and teaching.
- Work closely with staff in other professional services to promote the use of appropriate technologies, facilities and methods in learning and teaching.
- Work collaboratively with the ILEAD, to contribute to achieving the strategic ambitions of the University in relation to academic enhancement and excellence in learning, teaching and research, and to contribute to achieving the ILEAD’s ongoing operational objectives.
- Keep up-to-date with changes and developments in related policies and procedures.
- Reflect on personal professional practice and keep abreast of current developments in learning and teaching through engagement with the wider community via subject associations, attendance and presentations at conferences, colloquiums and personal development days.
- Willing to engage in personal development and training and change the focus of the role, where appropriate, to meet the changing needs of the University.
- Engage with relevant university and departmental committees, working groups and forums to raise awareness of pedagogic principles, share examples of best practice and highlight developments in the field.
- Carry out any other duties as required, commensurate with the role position.
- A flexible approach to working.
- Proactive and ability to work independently and also as part of a team.
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate:
- Excellent knowledge of current theories and practices in education, particularly with respect to post-secondary teaching and learning (e.g. student-centred active learning, large classes, small groups, team-based learning, blended and online learning, flipped classrooms, Universal Design for Learning), and educational development.
- The ability to create and deliver programming (informal and formal stand-alone or embedded activities) for teaching development.
- Collegiality and a willingness to work with others.
- The ability to effectively lead and collaborate on cross-functional and multi-disciplinary teams, multi-tasking and establishing priorities and meeting deadlines with minimal direction.
- Knowledge of and experience in Quality Assurance processes including accreditation requirements of professional bodies, and understanding of approaches to quality enhancement.
- Strong computer skills, including a high degree of facility with the use of all Microsoft applications and the use of Web 2.0 technologies for educational purposes using a VLE (Moodle preferred).
- A Masters in Education or related field, PhD in Education, EdD or related field preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years' experience in post-secondary education, and 3 years’ experience in educational development.
- Membership of and engagement with a relevant professional body such as SEDA (Staff and Educational Development Association), Education Development Centre (EDC), or the Professional and Organizational Development Network in Higher Education (POD) is preferred, though not essential.
- Fellowship or Senior Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy is preferred, though not essential.
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 55 may be not eligible for PRC work visa.
Please send your application to AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn. In the subject line write the Positon you are applying for and quote the job ID number for reference.
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.
Informal enquiries about procedure may be addressed to the Staff Management Team at AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn.
Informal enquiries about the positions and the department may be addressed to the Director of the Educational Development Unit, Jennifer Howard (Jennifer.Howard@xjtlu.edu.cn).
Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.