Postdoctoral Research Associate in Aquatic Ecology
- Full Time
POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH ASSOCIATE IN AQUATIC ECOLOGY
DEPARTMENT: Urban & Environmental Studies University Research Centre
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Aquatic ecology, River Ecology, Hydrology, Water Resources, Environmental Science
POSITION TITLE: Postdoctoral Research Associate in Aquatic Ecology
LOCATION: Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University, SUZHOU CAMPUS
SALARY: Annual salary of 200,000RMB plus benefits
POSITION OPEN DATE: August 1, 2019
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: October 31, 2019
JOB ID: 995882
CONTRACT TYPE: 2-year fixed-term contract
UNIVERSITY AND DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW:
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a unique collaborative institution and the first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for all programme. Formed in 2006, the first cohort of students graduated in August 2010. The University now has over 10,000 students studying on campus. The language of instruction is English. XJTLU aims to become truly research-led, and has recently committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of PhD student numbers on campus.
XJTLU is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP). Suzhou has been ranked the 74th most liveable city in the 2018 Global Liveability Index. Environment, development and urban related research are important research areas of the Departments of Health & Environmental Sciences, Urban Planning & Design, Civil Engineering and China Studies at XJTLU. Recently a University Urban and Environmental Studies Research Centre was established, with Wujiang district of Suzhou funding. The center employs 8 Ms and PhD level research associates. The centre aims to become an internationally significant research centre focusing on environmental, economic, social, demographic, and health changes caused by development and urbanization at the local level in China. A current research project is on developing a hydrological model of the entire Wujiang district that will allow us to determine sources and solutions for water quality problems. This position will be a core researcher for this initiative.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
The postdoctoral supervisor is Johannes Knops, professor & head of department of Health and Environmental Sciences, Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University.
The postdoctoral position belongs to Suzhou Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool Technology Transfer Centre Postdoctoral Workstation, an entity affiliated with XJTLU, and is in collaboration with Xi’an Jiaotong University Postdoctoral Mobile Station. Suitable working environment and sufficient scientific research funds will be provided by Urban and Environmental Studies University Research centre, Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University.
The postdoc is sought to support investigation on causes of water pollution in Wujiang district, Suzhou City, Jiangsu Province, China. And successful applicant will work and collaborate with other researchers focused on urban planning, GIS, agriculture etc.
Job duties include designing, conducting and analyzing field and laboratory experiments, collecting data, developing a basin hydrological model, coordinating research activities with a team of collaborators, supervising technicians, and writing manuscripts.
- Strong scientific research ability
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Good English writing and oral communication skills
- Independent working ability
- A PhD degree in Aquatic or River Ecology, Hydrology and Water Resources or related field relevant to environmental science, awarded on or after January 1, 2017
- Familiarity with water pollution, river and lake pollution control, river and lake water quality monitoring, or aquatic ecology,
- This position is open to Chinese nationals only. Successful completion of the postdoctoral project will lead to a certificate which is recognized by the Chinese government. All post-doc positions are government sponsored. Those recruited will work at XJTLU academic department but the post-doc positon belongs to the post-doc work station at an affiliated entity of XJTLU, in specific, called Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool Technology Transfer Center Post-doc workstation. This entity does not have the license to recruit foreign nationals at the moment.
- Fluency in English
- Preferred is fluency in Mandarin Chinese
The position holder is entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday”, depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 55 may be not eligible for PRC work visa.
Please send your application to AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn as one PDF file. In the subject line write the Position you are applying for and quote the job ID number for reference.
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 5 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Brief 1-2 page research statement
- One sample publication
- Contact Details for Three References
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above. Enquiries about the positions may be addressed to Xia Meng (Email: URC.XiaMeng@xjtlu.edu.cn).
Other informal enquiries may be addressed to the Staff Management Team at AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.
Apply for Postdoctoral Research Associate in Aquatic Ecology
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly