Deputy Director, Academic Planning and Quality
DEPARTMENT OF INSTITUTIONAL PLANNING
DEPUTY DIRECTOR: ACADEMIC PLANNING AND QUALITY
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 4
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the above vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development
The incumbent will be required to:
- Oversee and manage academic planning and quality assurance and enhancement activities. This will include:
- Leading the Academic Planning and Quality Division in the Department of Institutional Planning
- Management of external evaluation at all organisational levels, including academic reviews, accreditations and review of professional services
- Develop and maintain appropriate quality promotion activities
- Monitor and support the implementation of quality improvement plans
- Management of academic planning and the University's Programme Qualification Mix (PQM)
- Oversee the submission of proposals for new academic programmes to external bodies
- Ensuring alignment with national and institutional policies and changes in the world of work
- Co-ordinate the activities of the Academic Planning Committee
- Ensuring the development and management of systems, databases and processes to support all aspects of academic programme development, management, and review
- Create and maintain a suitable integrated Quality Management System into which the Quality Manual of the University is incorporated
- Monitor changes to the national regulatory framework for Quality Assurance and Academic Planning, and more general developments in the Higher Education Sector
- Liaise and network with faculties and support departments at the University of Pretoria;
- Build active strategic partnerships with other functions within the University;
- Liaise with the Department of Higher Education and Training, Council on Higher Education, South African Qualifications Authority and other relevant professional bodies;
- Provide leadership and guidance to senior managers across the University on matters related to academic planning and quality;
- Lead and manage the academic planning and quality team within the Department of Institutional Planning.
- A relevant Master’s Degree;
- 8 years’ experience in the field of which five should be in a leadership position on, at least, senior management level;
- Proven experience in/and knowledge of:
- Higher education policy matters
- Facilitation of academic planning in a higher education environment
- Management and execution of quality related projects
- Experience in writing plans and reports.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Knowledge of higher education policies related to teaching and learning, academic planning and quality assurance;
- Knowledge of the functioning of a University;
- Mastery of the Higher Education Qualifications Sub-Framework;
- Knowledge of key developments in the higher education environment;
- HEMIS reporting system;
- Report writing;
- Data analysis and interpretation;
- Strong leadership skills and decisiveness;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Sensitivity to diversity;
- Ability to work in a team.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Relevant doctoral degree;
- Relevant managerial experience in the higher education sector;
- Lecturing experience;
- Proven track record of innovation, creativity and independent judgement.
PLEASE NOTE: All shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in relevant skills assessments as part of the selection process.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 09 December 2021
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Mrs Jeovitah Chimhamhiwa, Tel: (012) 420 3576 for application-related enquiries, and Prof G Ouma, Tel: (012) 420 5881 for enquiries relating to the post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 28 February 2022, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.