- Salary Package: HEW Level 5 ($75,400 - $85,728 p.a. pro rata) plus 17% employer's superannuation and annual leave loading
- Appointment Type: 12 months fixed-term part-time (0.3 FTE - 17.5 hours per week)
- Macquarie University (North Ryde) location
- Given current Australian Government COVID-19 border restrictions, applications for this position are only being accepted from Australian citizens or permanent residents or people currently residing in Australia with full working rights.
With generous support from Foundation Donors, Henry and Marcia Pinskier, and in partnership with Cape York Institute, Macquarie University Law School's new Radical Centre Reform Lab is seeking a talented and hard-working part-time Research Assistant.
We seek an all-rounder with a passion for Indigenous rights, constitutional reform and the Uluru Statement, who can support legal research and help take charge of the operations of the Radical Centre Reform Lab.
Key responsibilities include:
- Supporting the Director of the Radical Centre Reform lab with:
- Legal and political research related to Indigenous constitutional recognition
- Drafting, editing and proof reading of publications and other documents
- Co-ordination of interns and scholarship student within the Reform Lab
- Co-ordination of contributing authors and other stakeholder management
- Co-ordination of and involvement in events and public forums
- Administration, budgeting and operations as directed
- Communications and graphic design (if possible)
- Developing and maintaining websites and other administrative systems
- Development of funding applications.
- Acting as the first point of contact for internal and external stakeholders, maintaining effective channels of communication and helping respond to correspondence.
Macquarie Law School was established in 1972 and has a rich history in legal education, scholarship, and industry and community engagement. We pioneered the interdisciplinary study of law, designed to foster a sound understanding of legal doctrine as well as an awareness of the role of law in society and a sense of social responsibility. Our researchers and students are dedicated to enquiry and shaping the future of the law.
We take pride in our desire to be change makers. Our ambition is to educate future leaders and to provide thought leadership on key societal and economic issues. We are a highly ranked law school and Macquarie University enjoys a 5-star QS rating. Located in the heart of one of Australia's largest business precincts, within a stunning parkland campus close to bustling and beautiful Sydney, Macquarie is a thriving hub of discovery and collaboration.
Macquarie is a university engaged with the real and often complex problems and opportunities that define our lives. Since our foundation 57 years ago, we have aspired to be a different type of university. Over the years, we've grown to become the centre of a vibrant local and global community. Connect with us today.
To be considered for this position, please apply online by submitting your CV and a separate cover letter which demonstrates how you meet the following selection criteria:
- Passion for Indigenous rights, constitutional reform and the Uluru Statement from the Heart
- Eagerness to develop skills with a view to becoming an expert and advocate in this field
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and computer literacy
- Relevant tertiary qualification with subsequent relevant experience or equivalent competence gained through any combination of education, training and experience
- Previous experience in this field or a similar field of research desirable
- Experience coordinating and communicating with volunteer participants and other stakeholders, and managing cohort database, would be desirable
- Excel, communications, website management and graphic design skills desirable
- Advanced organisational and problem-solving skills, including the ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to take initiative, and work both independently and as part of a team to progress an ambitious and complex project.
Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander applicants encouraged to apply.
This work can be undertaken flexibly and remotely if necessary - get in touch to discuss options.
Specific Role Enquiries: Dr Shireen Morris at: email@example.com or 0421859116
General Enquiries: HR Assistant, Grace Deng on firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications Close: Sunday 26 December 2021 at 11:55 PM AEST
At Macquarie University, we are committed to providing a working environment where each individual is valued, respected and supported to progress. Our priority is to ensure culture, policies and processes are truly inclusive and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander identity, gender, culture, disability, LGBTIQA+ identities, family and caring responsibilities, age, or religion. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria and shares Macquarie University's values of scholarship, empowerment and integrity to apply.
Learn more about our progress towards Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.