Lecturer/Assistant/Associate Professor in MA TESOL
Along with NYU Shanghai and Duke University Kunshan, Wenzhou-Kean University (WKU) is one of only three full legal-person Sino-American universities with all English instruction approved by the Ministry of Education in China. We invite applicants for full-time tenure track positions in Instruction and Curriculum (TESOL focused) to begin in the fall of 2022.
WKU sits on approximately 500 beautiful acres and currently enrolls 3,500 undergraduate students. It is now in the midst of rapid growth that will bring enrollment to 7,000 students within the next four years. All instruction at WKU is in English, and the curriculum is provided by Kean University and adapted to the needs of the local student population. In addition to its current 20 undergraduate programs, WKU was approved by the Ministry of Education to offer graduate programs starting from 2020. Currently, the University offers 6 graduate programs with plans for 2 more beginning in Fall 2022.
Wenzhou is one of the most vibrant and economically developed cities on China's East Coast, located one hour by plane and just over three hours by high-speed train from Shanghai.
About the Job:
WKU launched the graduate program in Instruction and Curriculum (TESOL Concentration) in Fall 2020 with an initial cohort of 12 students. The second cohort enrolled 21 students coming from various provinces of China, as well as an international student from the U.S. The planned programmatic expansion for 2022 will bring the third cohort of 40 students and an additional 2 faculty members.
WKU is seeking two candidates to teach a full range of MA TESOL graduate courses. New faculty will have the opportunity to teach graduate-level courses in general linguistics, TESOL methods, language assessment, or a variety of other program-specific topics.
The successful candidate will have a clear record of expertise in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) and the demonstrated ability to prepare MA TESOL students to teach in both ESL and EFL contexts. Candidates with EFL teaching and teacher-training experience will be prioritized for this position. Candidates must have an ongoing agenda for student-engaging research and are expected to publish research outcomes in well-recognized journals. Candidates are expected to advise graduate students to develop research projects and produce publishable research outcomes. In addition to teaching and research, candidates are expected to contribute to the growth of the program, including but not limited to curriculum development, program assessment, student recruitment and advising, faculty hiring, program promotion, and internship opportunities.
This full-time faculty position will start in Fall 2022. This position will be offered at the Lecturer level or at the rank of tenure track Assistant or Associate Professor. The Lecturer position is a 12-month, non-tenure track appointment, and may be renewed on an annual basis. The Tenure-track Assistant or Associate Professor positions are 10-month appointments that require research and publications in internationally recognized and vigorously peer-reviewed journals in the field. Lecturers typically teach four graduate-level courses (3 credit hours per course) in each of the spring and fall semesters and two courses in summer session. Tenure-track faculty members typically teach three graduate-level courses (3 credit hours per course) in each of the spring and fall semesters. Course release may be available to graduate faculty for national level grant proposal development or other substantial research initiatives. The candidate will be expected to participate in the full range of faculty responsibilities, including high-quality teaching, research, advising, student learning support, service to the university and/or professional community.
Teaching assignments and related responsibilities may include day, evening, weekend and online courses. Interest or experience in using advanced instructional technologies to improve the teaching/learning process is highly desirable.
- A Ph.D. or Ed.D. in TESOL, Applied Linguistics or closely related areas. ABD can be considered with completion prior to the effective date of employment.
- A minimum of one year of teaching experience at the post-secondary level.
- Evidence of teaching experience in TESL settings.
- Evidence of successful teaching experience at the college level, preferably graduate level (e.g. course evaluations, teaching portfolio).
- Familiarity with current trends in pedagogy and program development.
- Knowledge of and experience with assessment and accreditation is desirable.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until positions are filled. Please send cover letter, resume, statement of teaching philosophy, research statement describing research interest, past accomplishments in research and research plan (for tenure track positions only), unofficial transcripts and contact information of three professional references by email to the Search Committee Chairperson at email@example.com. Official transcripts for all degrees and three current letters of recommendation are required before appointment.
TESOL faculty positions at WKU offer:
- Annual salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience with the range from $65,000-$73,000 for lecturers; $68,000-$78,000 for Assistant Professors; $75,000-$85,000 for Associate Professors.
- Income tax exemption depicted by tax treaty between China and some countries (for example, the United States).
- A well-rounded healthcare coverage, academic travel up to $2,000, housing options and subsidy up to $3,000, home traveling up to $6,000 (2 international round-trip airfares), a reimbursement to cover relocation expenses up to $1,000, shuttle bus to campus for work.
- WKU tuition waiver up to 80% for spouse/dependent children of faculty for the higher educational degree. And tuition discount of local private/international kindergarten, elementary, middle and high schools for children of faculty.
- A collegial environment.
- The opportunity to teach high quality students with more than a third of graduates being admitted to the graduate schools at the World’s Top 50 Universities, and about 60% of graduates at the World’s Top 100 Universities.
Wenzhou-Kean University conducts background screenings on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background Screenings.