Post Doctoral Fellow, Research and Development
(Post Doctoral Fellow) -(Research and Development)
- To provide high quality research support and undertake internationally competitive research aimed at publication thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the University.
- Since the Postdoctoral, experience is transitional to becoming an independent researcher or faculty member, the Postdoctoral tries their best to acquire the varied skills necessary to advance their career with guidance from the advisor. These skills include, but are not limited to, the ability to present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written modes of communication, the ability to understand research group management and supervision of others, the ability to establish contacts and network with colleagues pursuing a similar research agenda, the ability to organize and teach a class or a course if more inclined towards a teaching career.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- Identify, develop, implement, evaluate and optimize strategies for low-energy/low-carbon metal product manufacturing, including hydrogen, power-to-gas and carbon capture-based strategies, through in-depth literature review and thermodynamic, economic and environmental modeling and optimization. This will involve equipment and process design/specification.
- Construct and validate (against appropriate reference data) thermodynamic, economic and environmental models of both conventional/existing and low-energy/carbon metal product production processes and systems, using numerical modeling including thermodynamic and chemical engineering process modeling software.
- Evaluate low-carbon metal production strategies by (i) developing and applying appropriate thermodynamic, economic, environmental and life cycle assessment (LCA) performance metrics and evaluation approaches, (ii) using developed models, (iii) assessing process/system performance sensitivity to key design/operating parameters, and (iv) optimizing process/system based on thermodynamic, economic and environmental criteria.
- Write independently, as directed by the project investigator, publications for submission to high-quartile ranked journals and premier energy/mechanical engineering conferences.
- Take responsibility for reporting technical progress to the project investigator, periodically and in a timely manner.
- Carry out a specified research program under the direction of the project investigator.
- Collaborate and work in a collegial manner with the project team members.
- Support the project team in the advancement of the research program.
- Function autonomously, ethically and responsibly.
- Assist with the mentoring of graduate and undergraduate students, and research staff working on the project, as directed by the project investigator.
Qualifications & Experience
- Ph.D. Degree in chemical, mechanical or related engineering field.
- Good engineering background/experience in chemical engineering and reactive flow process modeling (e.g., using Aspen Plus), chemical equilibrium and kinetics.
- Desired experience in some of the following areas: conventional/existing and low-carbon metal production processes, heat recovery and utilization, heat/material integration, carbon capture processes, hydrogen, power-to-gas, energy storage.
- Desired experience in design and evaluation of multi-generation systems, using energy, exergy, economic, exergoeconomic, environmental, life cycle, and dispatch/scheduling analysis, and optimization.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, without direct supervision, and team player skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Good research achievements including publications in reputed academic engineering/scientific journals.
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Primary Location: KUK – Khalifa University
Job: Post Doctoral Fellow
Job Type: Full-time