Research Engineer, Research and Development
(Research Engineer) -(Research and Development)
- To provide high quality research support and undertake internationally competitive research aimed at publication thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the University.
- Ability to present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written modes of communication.
- Identify, develop, implement, evaluate and optimize strategies for low-energy/low-carbon metal product manufacturing, including hydrogen, power-to-gas and carbon capture-based strategies, through in-depth literature review and thermodynamic, economic and environmental modeling and optimization. This will involve equipment and process design/specification.
- Construct and validate (against appropriate reference data) thermodynamic, economic and environmental models of both conventional/existing and low-energy/carbon metal product production processes and systems, using numerical modeling including thermodynamic and chemical engineering process modeling software.
- Evaluate low-carbon metal production strategies by (i) developing and applying appropriate thermodynamic, economic, environmental and life cycle assessment (LCA) performance metrics and evaluation approaches, (ii) using developed models, (iii) assessing process/system performance sensitivity to key design/operating parameters, and (iv) optimizing process/system based on thermodynamic, economic and environmental criteria.
- Write independently, as directed by the project investigator, publications for submission to high-quartile ranked journals and premier energy/mechanical engineering conferences.
- Take responsibility for reporting technical progress to the project investigator, periodically and in a timely manner.
- Carry out a specified research program under the direction of the project investigator.
- Collaborate and work in a collegial manner with the project team members.
- Support the project team in the advancement of the research program.
- Function autonomously, ethically and responsibly.
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor/Master M.Sc. Degree in chemical, mechanical or related engineering field.
- Good engineering background/experience in chemical engineering and reactive flow process modeling (e.g., using Aspen Plus), chemical equilibrium and kinetics.
- Desired experience in some of the following areas: conventional/existing and low-carbon metal production processes, heat recovery and utilization, heat/material integration, carbon capture processes, hydrogen, power-to-gas, energy storage.
- Desired experience in design and evaluation of multi-generation systems, using energy, exergy, economic, exergoeconomic, environmental, life cycle, and dispatch/scheduling analysis, and optimization.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, without direct supervision, and team player skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Good research achievements including publications in reputed academic engineering/scientific journals.
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Primary Location: KUK – Khalifa University
Job: Research Engineer
Job Type: Full-time