Assistant/Associate/Full Professor in Energy Resources and Petroleum Engineering 2021/22
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology: Faculty Positions: Physical Science and Engineering Division (faculty): Energy Resources and Petroleum Engineering Program
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Thuwal, Saudi Arabia
Jun 30, 2022 at 11:59 PM Eastern Time
The KAUST Energy Resources and Petroleum Engineering Program (ERPE) program seeks candidates at all ranks who will develop a world-class competitive research program on one or multiple of the following key areas:
- Energy Geo-storage, with a specialization relevant to one or more energy geo-storage technologies, including CO2 sequestration, and underground gas storage for natural gas, hydrogen or air.
- Reservoirs and Complex Fluids, with a broad reservoir engineering experience including reservoir characterization and field development using one or more methods related to water-based EOR (low-salinity), gas-based EOR (CO2), well conformance improvement using chemical treatments with focus on conventional and tight reservoirs. The candidate is expected to have strong experimental background in evaluating the fundamentals processes related to physical geo-chemistry, rock-surface wettability, minimizing fluid interfacial forces, thermodynamics of complex fluids at reservoir temperature and pressure conditions.
- Geothermal Science and Engineering, with a strong experimental background in surface heat conversion in particular low-enthalpy energy (temperature <200C), thermal exploration, reservoir characterization, working geofluids, thermodynamics, aqueous geochemistry, chemo-thermo-hydro-mechanical processes such as thermal recovery optimization, rock stimulation, fracture/fault activation, and drilling technology.
- Data Science and Machine Learning in Energy Geo-Engineering, with experience in predicting fluid dynamics, reservoir characterization, petrophysical interpretation, drilling operations, and digital sensing, relevant to various applications in the upstream sector such as hydrocarbon production, underground gas storage, and geothermal energy. The successful candidate will focus on developing innovative data- and physics-driven machine-learning solutions for forward and inverse problems, and optimization using genetic algorithms and Bayesian modeling.
The ERPE programs plays a pivotal role in supporting KAUST strategic initiatives: artificial intelligence, climate and livability, smart health and cybersecurity. Applications that would strengthen our footprint in one or more of these initiatives will be strongly considered.
The ERPE Program focuses on modern reservoir description, engineering and management. Our Faculty provide a broad training in basic scientific concepts and thermodynamics, geology, geophysical characterization, and reservoir engineering. Our students participate in scientific research activities that may include mathematical analyses, computational modeling, experimental research and/or field studies.
About the PSE Division and KAUST
The ERPE program belongs to the Physical Science and Engineering Division that comprises seven Degree Programs: Material Science and Engineering, Applied Physics, Earth Science and Engineering, Energy Resources and Petroleum Engineering, Chemical Science, Chemical Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering. These disciplines provide the foundation for our Division's quest to address some of the major challenges that we face in the world today, including those related to energy and the environment. Specifically, our faculty members and their research teams work on topics as diverse as: photovoltaics, super capacitors, porous materials for carbon capture and membranes, clean combustion, atmospheric modeling, new polymers and composite for smart materials and structures.
KAUST is an international graduate research university dedicated to advancing science and technology through interdisciplinary research, education, and innovation. Located in Saudi Arabia, on the western shores of the Red Sea, KAUST offers superb research facilities, generous baseline research funding, and internationally competitive salaries, together with unmatched living conditions for individuals and families. More information about KAUST academic programs and research activities are available at:
A relevant Ph.D. degree. Proven track record in managing a research group as well as publishing high-impact papers.
Teaching and service responsibilities
Commitment to high-quality teaching at the graduate level, including two courses per academic year. Active service to KAUST on all aspects of academic life.
The University offers access to multiple sources of research funding to its Principal Investigators. The successful applicant should have an established record of publishing high-impact papers, and is expected to create a thriving research program including engaging in national and international scientific collaborations.
Applicants are required to complete an online application form using the Interfolio online application system (https://www.kaust.edu.sa/en/about/faculty-positions). To prevent any delays in reviewing your application, you will need to upload the following materials:
- a cover letter, introducing your candidacy, and explicitly stating both the position and the rank (Assistant, Associate, Full) that the candidate is applying for, is required. The rank must be consistent with the candidate experience,
- up-to-date curriculum vita which includes full publication list,
- statement of research interests,
- statement of teaching interests,
- a list of the names/affiliation and contact details of at least six potential referees,
- copies of most relevant publications (maximum of five),
- two citation reports (Web of Science and Scopus).
PLEASE NOTE: Only complete applications submitted through the online application system will be considered. Applications will be evaluated as soon as they are received, and will receive full consideration until the positions are filled.