Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Exercise and Cancer
Work type: Fixed Term
Division/Faculty: Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
Department/School: Melbourne School of Psychological Sciences
Salary: $75,289 - $102,163 (Level A)
Role & Superannuation rate: Academic - Full time - 17% super
The Melbourne Centre for Behaviour Change, within the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences, is seeking to appoint an outstanding research fellow to work across two digital health intervention studies on exercise and behaviour change for cancer recovery. The successful applicant will report to Dr Camille Short who holds a joint position between the Melbourne School of Psychological Sciences and the Melbourne School of Health Sciences. The role provides an opportunity to work as part of a cross disciplinary team, with expertise in digital health, exercise prescription, behaviour change and public health. The projects are funded by the National Breast Cancer Foundation and the Victoria Cancer Agency and have potential to produce high impact outcomes, including improved quality of life for cancer patients and enhanced supportive care services.
The successful applicant will show evidence of the capacity to work as a member of a cross-disciplinary research team, experience with project management, an ability to interrogate data and effectively communicate results. The successful applicant will be integrated into the senior investigators research teams, including the Melbourne Centre for Behaviour Change, and the Physiotherapy Rehabilitation Research Group.
1. Key Responsibilities
1.1 Research and research training
- To support the principal investigators to conduct original research within the context of the research projects, independently and in collaboration with others. This includes obtaining necessary approvals, contributing to intervention development, assisting with recruitment of participants and supporting data acquisition (mostly remotely), data processing, and data analysis.
- To disseminate research findings through seminars, conference presentations, and publication in peer-reviewed international journals.
- To support the principal investigators with applications for additional research funding from national competitive granting agencies and other sources in the context of the research project.
- To supervise or co-supervise student research at fourth-year (Honours) level and to contribute to research training activities within the context of the research projects.
1.2 Leadership and service
- To contribute to the development of partnerships and relationships with other schools, departments, and centres in the wider University, as required for this project.
- To participate in activities that strengthen the links between the University and the community and assist with the dissemination and utilisation of knowledge. This public engagement may include e.g., writing of media articles, giving public lectures, or engaging in social media.
- To develop productive collaborations with external partners, as required for this project.
2. Selection Criteria2.
- A PhD or equivalent research higher degree in an area of psychology, physiotherapy, exercise physiology, medicine, or cognate discipline.
- Strong interest in research related to exercise and behaviour change, and/or health services and supportive care for cancer.
- Highly developed organisational skills and demonstrated project management skills.
- Very strong written and oral communications skills.
- Developing track record in independent and team-based research.
- A capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team to deliver high-quality research outcomes.
- A track record of intervention development and evaluation research, especially with a focus on exercise, behaviour change and/or digital health.
- Experience working with clinical populations.
- Experience conducting research within a hospital setting, including obtaining necessary approvals.
- Experience conducting exercise-related outcome assessments (e.g., 6 minute walk test, cardiopulmonary exercise testing).
- Experience in the research supervision or co-supervision of fourth year and/or postgraduate students.
Position description: PD Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Exercise and Cancer.pdf
Applications close: 03 Nov 2021 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Daylight Time