Lecturer/Assistant Professor/Associate Professor/Senior Associate Professor
LECTURER/ASSISTANT PROFESSOR/ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR/SENIOR ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR
SCHOOL: School of Cultural Technology, within the Academy of Film and Creative Technology, located in the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang)
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Cultural technology. entertainment technology, innovative entrepreneurship, immersive design and media production, image design, interactive design and Media or game production, AR/VR, and sound and audio design.
POSITION TITLE: Senior Associate Professor/Associate Professor/Assistant Professor/Lecturer, depending on qualifications and experience
LOCATION: Suzhou Industrial park campus for AY21-22 & Taicang campus for AY22-23 onwards
Senior Associate Professor: 43,353 – 45,941 RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 49,319 RMB/month based on future performance and evaluations after being in post)
Associate Professor: 36,127 - 40,189RMB (with the opportunity to go to 42,705RMB based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
Assistant Professor: 29,046 - 33,000RMB (with the opportunity to go to 35,588RMB based on future performance and evaluations after being in post)
Lecturer: 23,150-26,889RMB (with the opportunity to go to 28,615RMB based on future performance and evaluations after being in post)
POSITION OPEN DATE: 24th September 2021
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: Open until filled; however, applications received by 31 October 2021 (GMT+8) will be given first consideration
JOB ID: 1906
CONTRACT TYPE: Full-time; Fixed-Term/3-year contract, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
UNIVERSITY AND DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW:
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is China’s leading Joint Venture University, located in Suzhou, China. Founded in 2006, it now has around 18000 enrolled students in both Suzhou and Liverpool in the UK. It has ambitious plans to grow to about 25,000 students by 2025. The language of instruction, committees, and administrative work at XJTLU is English.
XJTLU’s initial and main campus is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP), well-connected via nearby airports to cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei, and via high-speed rails to other major cities in China, including nearby Shanghai. Greater Suzhou, including Taicang where its newest campus is located, is now the fourth largest concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP. XJTLU is finalising the building of a new teaching site in Taicang, with the collaboration of the Taicang Municipal Government and industry partners, as part of its strategic priorities for the next ten years. Taicang is a county-level city in Greater Suzhou. Opening for September 2022, the Taicang site will be a pioneer of, and educational model for, the future campus in developing talents and leaders to meet local, national, and global challenges from the 4th Industrial Revolution. XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang) is directed by a Leadership Team comprised of the Taicang Principal, Taicang Associate Principal, Chief Operating Officer, School Deans and Director of the Innovation Factory. The Taicang Leadership Team reports through its Principal to the Executive President, who heads the Senior Management Team of XJTLU.
For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn
About the School of cultural technology
The School of Cultural Technology is one of 7 industry-themed Schools in the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang campus), and there is the capacity to grow further within the college to a total of 10 schools. Common to each School is an Education, Research and Development Institute (“ERDI”) for teaching and university-business research collaboration, a professional services centre supporting daily activities of students, staff, and business partners, and a School Affiliated Company, which has been jointly established by XJTLU and the School’s founding industry partner for practical on-the-job learning and teaching. The governance and management of the School is through a School Council. The Dean of School oversees the School Management Team as well as contributing to the leadership of the Taicang campus.
The first degree programme that the School has launched for the Academic Year 2019/2020 is BA Arts, Technology and Entertainment with Contemporary Entrepreneurialism. The School is currently developing a two-year master degree programme, building on the success of its initial degree programme.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
We are looking for future colleagues from candidates in all the fields of entertainment technology, immersive design and media production, image design, interactive design and Media or game production, AR/VR, entertainment technology, innovative entrepreneurship, events and project management, digital media arts, sound and audio, camera and lighting, and post-production editing who can:
- engage actively with new educational models and embrace innovative, interactive, technology-enhanced learning, teaching, and assessment approaches,
- understand and have an entrepreneur and innovative spirit, in line with the ethos of the campus and college,
- deliver high-quality teaching to undergraduate and graduate students, as evidenced for example by peers, students, external examiners and industry advisors,
- advise and supervise undergraduate students and postgraduate students,
- conduct high-quality industry-oriented research on the discipline, as shown by publications in leading journals,
- provide professional service to the School, the College, the University and its stakeholders.
The School of Cultural Technology is adopting a new higher education model based on the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE). SE is a new model that has been developed by the University to address future challenges from the 4th Industrial Revolution and is a core part of the University’s strategy for the next ten-year development that stresses innovation and entrepreneurship. SE aims at training syntegrative leaders with Management skills, International perspective, Discipline-specific knowledge, and adaptability in Industry (MIDI).
The position seeks individuals who will echo these values and are passionate about undergraduate and graduate student engagement. The University seeks faculty members who can model the excitement of engagement, discovery, and creativity and who are committed to education as an integrated and transformational process.
- A PhD or MFA (Master of Fine Arts) degree in digital arts, innovative entrepreneurship, interactive media or game design, animation, immersive media and sound, AR/VR/XR, media production or be able to demonstrate an equivalent professional practice and engagement.
- Self-motivated for innovative teaching.
- Capacity for delivering high quality, effective teaching in English.
- Strong team-work spirit.
- A PhD degree or Master of Fine Arts (MFA)
- A good track record of engagement with business and industry.
- University-level teaching experience.
- Appropriate research experience for the corresponding academic position.
- Experience with professional knowledge and skills of technology related hardware and software in the field of entertainment.
- For non-Chinese applicants, two years, full time, same subject teaching in a college/university is required by the Chinese work permit policy.
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for PRC work visa.
Please submit your applications online
Applications must be submitted in a single PDF file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter specifying your suitability for the role
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact details for three references (at least a reference from current or most recent employer. Preferably current employer *and* last employer)
For further information and an informal discussion, please contact Professor Stuart Perrin via Stuart.Perrin@xjtlu.edu.cn
If you are unable to apply on-line please contact the Human Resource Office.
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.