Academic English Instructor
About Zhejiang University & ZJU International Campus
Founded in 1897, Zhejiang University (ZJU) is one of China's oldest and most prestigious universities. It is a member of the country's elite C9 League and is ranked 54th globally in the 2020 QS World University Rankings.
In 2016 ZJU opened a high-profile international campus which partners with other prestigious universities from around the world. Current partners of the ZJU International Campus are the University of Edinburgh (in the field of biomedical sciences) and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (in the field of engineering), and more highly-ranked overseas institutions will join as partners in the coming years. Students are admitted under the same academic requirements as those on other campuses of Zhejiang University, and they are obtaining two degrees from both ZJU and the partner university. English language is used in all course teaching activities. The campus is based in Haining, one of China's fastest growing cities located in the "one-hour economic circle" of Shanghai, Hangzhou, and Suzhou. We have an ambitious vision for a new model of transnational higher education, bringing together the best of multiple countries' higher education systems on a single campus.
About the Language Center
The Language Center is committed to providing a supportive language learning environment and to enhancing students' English proficiency, especially communicative competence in academic settings. Through a variety of classes and activities, the Language Center also aims at cultivating students with creativity, intercultural awareness, critical thinking skills, and life-long learning abilities. The Language Center is responsible for delivery of credit bearing courses which form part of the undergraduate degree programs taught by the partner institutions. The Language Center also supports language development of graduate students and offers continuous language support across the whole campus for all students, staff and faculty.
Post Description & Responsibilities
- Location: Haining, Zhejiang Province, China
- Term: 2 years, starting from August 20th, 2021
- Workload: 40 hours/week, including 15-16 teaching hours/week
- Teaching English for general and specific academic purposes, with a focus on communicative competence for enhanced academic participation (including discussions, interviews and presentation skills)
- Teaching academic writing with a focus on academic discourse and overall academic literacy.
- Teaching a variety of content based classes including literature, creative writing, intercultural communication, newspaper reading, etc.
- Organizing events, activities and workshops to create an encouraging language learning environment and to enhance students' motivation in learning English
Knowledge, Skills & Experience Essential
- Experience of the higher education system - as student and/or as staff (required for this recruitment round)
- Master's degree in TESOL/Applied Linguistics (or equivalent), or Cambridge ESOL DELTA
- Fluent level or near fluent in English language
- At least three years' experience in English language teaching at university level
- Experience in teaching English for Academic purposes
- Confidence in analyzing language learning and academic performance, and in giving clear and constructive feedbacks on students' spoken and written work
- Ability to work in a team, and to teach and assess to agreed criteria
Experience creating and delivering online language learning tasks and use of software related to support various virtual learning environments.
- Experience in teaching in China
- Experience in teaching English for STEM subjects
- Experience tin teaching rhetoric/composition courses
- Experience in EAP curriculum and materials development
- Experience in innovative use of technology to support teaching and learning
Conditions of Employment
The contract of employment will be held with ZJU International Campus and the appointment and conditions will be governed by the employment laws of China and the policies and practices of Zhejiang University.
To apply, please email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- a cover letter expressing your interest in the position and a brief summary of your approach to teaching English at university.
- CV that lists teaching experience, major research awards and honors, publications, history of research funding and mentorship
- scanned copies of relevant degrees/diplomas, transcripts, and teaching certificates
- a recommendation letter from current or recent employer (if this is not feasible, please provide names of referees who could be contacted at interview/offer stage)
Only successful applicants will be contacted, and be invited for an interview. Interviews will be conducted in person or via video online. Recruitment decisions are made by a committee made up of members from relevant departments at ZJU, taking into account the application and the needs of the role.