Special Scientist, Administrative Support Staff
Title: Special Scientist - Administrative Support Staff to manage the storage of chemical reagents, gas cylinders and solvents of the Department of Chemistry.|
No. of Positions: One (1) position
Category: Full time contract (1 year contract)
Place of Work: University of Cyprus, Nicosia
The Department of Chemistry of the University of Cyprus accepts applications for one (1) vacancy of Special Scientist - Administrative Support Staff for full time (140 hours/month).
The Special Scientist will be responsible for management and storage of chemical reagents, gas cylinders and solvents at the Department of Chemistry. The tasks focus on ordering, storage and distribution of chemicals to the Departments teaching and research laboratories of the Department and to the creation and maintenance of an accurate updateable digital filing system. The Special Scientist will also be responsible for the collection of chemical waste from the laboratories as well as for their delivery to the respective waste collection company.
- Safe management and storage of chemical reagents, gas cylinders and solvents for the Department of Chemistry.
- Creation and maintenance of a digital file of all chemicals, solvents and gas cylinders.
- Purchasing, storage and distribution of chemical reagents, gas cylinders and solvents for the teaching and research laboratories of the Department of Chemistry.
- Safe collection and transfer of solvents from large barrels (200 liters) to smaller containers.
- Collection of chemical waste from chemistry laboratories, its proper and secure storage and delivery to the chemical waste collection and management company contracted to the University of Cyprus
- University degree or diploma in the field of Chemistry.
- Working knowledge of English.
- Capable of handling manual hoist for moving barrels areas objects.
- Integrity of character, confidentiality, organizational and administrative ability, initiative, responsibility, discretion and ability to cooperate effectively.
ADDITIONAL ADVANTAGES / QUALIFICATION
- Postgraduate degree in Chemistry or related subjects in Safety and Health.
- Excellent organizational, administrative and communication skills.
- Previous related work experience.
- Working knowledge of the Greek language.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the supervision of the respective Department of Chemistry Chairperson and Security Officer, the Special Scientist will perform the following:
- Safely manage and store chemical reagents, gas cylinders and solvents of the Department of Chemistry.
- Purchase and distribute chemical reagents and solvents to the teaching and research laboratories. Purchasing will entail carrying out market research to select the best, cheapest and fastest purchasing options.
- Purchase, safely store and distribute gas cylinders to the Departments teaching and research laboratories.
- Create and maintain a relevant digital file for all chemicals for easy and immediate access.
- Transfer solvents from large barrels to smaller containers.
- Collect chemical waste from the Chemistry laboratories and deliver it to the waste collection facility.
- Maintain an incident registrar and carry out accident investigations in collaboration with the committee of the Department of Safety, Health and Environment.
- Prepare Specifications, Technical Terms and Tender Conditions on matters related to their duties.
- Assist in the organization and participate in meetings related to the organization of the warehouses of the Department of Chemistry.
- Know and implement the existing Legislation on Health & Safety in the workplace.
- Constantly update their training in matters related to work Health & Safety.
- Use computers to handle word processing, electronic worksheets, internet and e-mail.
- Collaborate constructively with all the Academic, Research and Administrative Staff of the Department as well as with staff of other Organizational Entities of The University of Cyprus.
- Any other relevant tasks assigned by the respective Department Chairperson.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
The employment of the Special Scientist - Administrative Support Staff will be on a contract-basis. The duration of employment will be for (1) one year. The monthly gross salary will amount to €1800. From the gross monthly earnings employee contributions to the various Governmental funds and if, applicable, Income Tax will be deducted. This amount includes ratio of 13th salary.
- Depending on the needs of the Department, the Special Scientist may receive special training and performance monitoring related to their duties.
- The holder of the position, depending on the needs of the University, can work either with a shift system or with special hours. The regulation of his / her working hours is left to the discretion of the respective President of the Department.
- The term University diploma or title refers to an undergraduate diploma or title.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS
Applicants are requested to submit the following:
- Short letter of interest for this position and start date availability.
- Complete CV in Greek or English.
- Copies of degrees and transcripts.
- Two letters of recommendation which must be sent directly by the nominated referees to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight Sunday, 26th September 2021 (Eastern European Summer Time).
Note that at least the best three candidates that satisfy the required qualifications, will be interviewed by a 3-member Committee.
Candidates shall be informed of the result of their application by the relevant entity.
The University of Cyprus shall collect and process your personal data according to the provisions of the General Regulation on Personal Data 2016/679 (EU).
Applications should be submitted online, by midnight Sunday, 26th September 2021 (Eastern European Summer Time, at the following link: https://applications.ucy.ac.cy/recruitment.
For clarifications contact either Professor Panayiotis Koutentis, e-mail: email@example.com, tel.: 22892783 or the Department of Chemistry Head Technician Mr Savvas Savva e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, tel.: 22892813.