Lecturer, Department of Private Law, Faculty of Law
FACULTY OF LAW
DEPARTMENT OF PRIVATE LAW
LECTURER (TWO POSTS
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be required to:
- Teaching relevant Private Law subjects at both undergraduate and postgraduate level. The Department of Private Law has specific needs in Law of Contract, Law of Delict, Intellectual Property Law and African Customary Law;
- Conducting academic and scholarly research;
- Having an in-depth understanding of specialisation to enable development of new knowledge, innovation and understanding within the field;
- Supervising postgraduate students;
- Mentoring students at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels;
- Performing academic administration and management;
- Performing other duties as delegated by the Head of the Department.
- LLM in a related field in Private Law. A doctorate would be a strong recommendation;
- Relevant teaching, tutoring or related experience at a tertiary educational institution;
- At least two accredited academic publications in the last three years will be a strong recommendation;
- Evidence of community engagement being embedded in the candidate's research and/or teaching;
- Relevant academic administration experience will be a recommendation.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Ability to work independently and as part of a dynamic team;
- Appropriate communication skills.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES
- Membership of/and networking with relevant national and international institutions and bodies (both academic and professional).
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV (utilising the UP format downloadable from the University website);
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- At the level of Senior Lecturer, names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
- Self-evaluation of teaching and research.
CLOSING DATE: 02 August 2021
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Prof SJ Cornelius, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you not have heard from the University of Pretoria by 30 November 2021, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference will be given to candidates from the under-represented designated groups.
Candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right not to make an appointment to the posts as advertised.