Research Grants Administrator, Department of Research an Innovation
DEPARTMENT OF RESEARCH AN INNOVATION
RESEARCH CAPACITY DEVELOPMENT
RESEARCH GRANTS ADMINISTRATOR
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 8
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
Provides specialized support for NRF research grants management (pre and post-award) to researchers by working in close collaboration with faculties, external funding agencies, and international research collaborations. Manages the National Research Foundation (NRF) rated researcher portfolio at the University of Pretoria, as well as the University of Pretoria funding instruments and co-funding programmes.
The successful applicant’s duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Pre-award grant management:
- Advising researchers with funding needs on suitable grant opportunities, particularly for bi-lateral and travel grants, such as NRF travel grants and rated researchers funding instruments;
- Maintaining grant application information on the Pre-award Grant Management system;
- Managing the grant application submission process, and provide final approval as the institutional designated authority before officially submitting applications to the NRF;
- Providing input on grant applications to ensure that the submissions are compelling, and comply with the funding framework;
- Post-award grant management:
- Following up on grant applications and informing researchers on the funding decisions;
- Facilitating the institutional signatures on the conditions of grant (grant agreements), and signing as the designated authority for the specific funding instruments;
- Reconciling financial information with the Department of Finance regarding unspent funds;
- Manage the institutional NRF Rated Researcher portfolio:
- Advising researchers on the NRF ratings process, and providing an initial assessment of readiness;
- Managing the UP internal review panel for NRF ratings, including agenda, minutes, faculty engagement, and panel selection;
- Calculating the annual budget required for UP to pay bonuses, based on the researchers’ NRF ratings;
- Custodian of the NRF rated researcher data;
- Manage the University of Pretoria funding instruments and the co-funding instruments:
- Promoting the University of Pretoria funding instruments;
- Providing technical support to researchers through the online applications process, for new as well as the renewal applications;
- Calculating the annual budget required for UP funding instruments and co-funding;
- Manage Research Africa Funding database:
- Registering new users on Research Africa Funding database;
- Providing technical support to researchers to identify suitable research funding opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Five years’ experience in grants management support.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Knowledge in:
- A local and international funding environment;
- National Research Foundation grant management policies;
- Project management;
- Financial management;
- Competent in:
- Grant management systems;
- National Research Foundation submission systems;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ability to communicate with diplomacy/sensitivity;
- Attention to detail;
- Ability to manage changing priorities and tight deadlines;
- Enthusiastic self-starter.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Honours degree;
- Two years’ experience in research capacity development;
- One year experience in grants management support within the Higher Education sector;
- Active membership to the Southern African Research and Innovation Management Association (SARIMA);
- Valid driver’s license.
PLEASE NOTE: All shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in relevant skills assessments as part of the selection process.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 01 July 2021
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 August 2021, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.