Postdoc Position in the Field of Organic Synthesis and Medicinal Chemistry
The Bursar of the Faculty of Science, Masaryk University announces an open competition for the POSTDOC POSITION IN THE FIELD OF Organic Synthesis and Medicinal Chemistry
Workplace: Department of Chemistry , Faculty of Science, Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic
Type of Contract: Temporary position with 1-year contract (with possible extension), non-academic
Working Hours: 40 FTE (full-time)
Expected Start Date: Negotiable with respect to immigration timelines for non-EU candidates
Number of Open Positions: 1
Application Deadline: July 31, 2021
Pay: CZK 50.000 gross (2.000 EUR before taxation) per month
EU Researcher Profile: R2
About the Workplace
Masaryk University is the second-largest university in the Czech Republic with ten faculties, more than 5000 staff, and more than 30 000 students. As a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing, our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education.
Faculty of Science MU, a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering university education (Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree programs) closely linked to both primary and applied research and high school teaching of the following sciences: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit of the Masaryk University generating around 40 % of MU research results.
The Department of Chemistry at Masaryk University & the International Clinical Research Centre in the Czech Republic offers postdoctoral position in organic synthesis. Selected candidate will join the Laboratory of Organic Synthesis and Medicinal Chemistry supervised by Dr. Jakub Svenda and Dr. Kamil Paruch (see: orgsyn.sci.muni.cz). design, interact with biologists and will have an opportunity to gain experience with mentoring of junior students.
Our laboratory at Masaryk University is international and has numerous collaborations with top biologists and innovative pharma companies, creating potential for future career opportunities. We are also part of the International Clinical Research Centre (ICRC), which is a joint research centre of St. Anne´s University Hospital in Brno (Czech Republic) and Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota (USA) (see: http://www.fnusa-icrc.org/en/).
The postdoctoral scientist will participate on research projects dealing with the preparation of non-trivial organic molecules used to explore important areas in biology and human medicine. The current topics of interest include the development of natural products and synthetic molecules as modulators of adenylyl cyclases, protein kinases, DNA nucleases and polymerases, and ribosomes. The researcher will actively participate on the research design, interact with biologists and will have an opportunity to gain experience with mentoring of junior students.
Skills and Qualifications
The applicant must:
- hold a PhD degree in chemistry and have a solid knowledge/experience in organic synthesis
- have excellent written, oral, and interpersonal English communication and teamwork skills
The applicant should:
- be able to independently design and execute multistep synthetic sequences, be able to perform data/result analysis and interpretation
- have fundamental skills in scientific writing
- have enthusiasm and eagerness to gain insight into the research topic
- have experience and high motivation to present and publish scientific results
Informal inquiries about the position can be sent to Dr. Jakub Švenda, email firstname.lastname@example.org, phone 54949 6965.
- Fully funded positions with competitive salary
- Well established laboratory which hosts international team members, has a strong publication track record, international collaborations, and long carrier training record
- An interesting job in a dynamically-expanding university area
- Flexible working hours and occasional home office to support personal needs in family and career compatibility
- Employee benefits such as 6 weeks of paid vacation per year, pension insurance contribution, contribution to lunches in canteens of MU or meal vouchers, discounted language courses, university cinema discount, exclusive mobile tariff offer by Vodafone, childcare group-Campus
- Opportunity to work and live in a modern and dynamic city (for more information on costs of living, you can refer to Numbeo)
- International Staff Office provides support with your relocation to Brno
The application shall be submitted online by 31st July 2021 via an e-application (Please, use the link in the e-Application section below).
The candidate shall provide following:
- Cover letter describing candidate's research interest and experience
- Names and contact details of at least 2 references.
After submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz.
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers. Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided.
If we do not contact you within 10 working days after the application deadline at the latest, it means that we have shortlisted other candidates meeting the position requirements.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal or videoconference interview.
The Faculty Recruitment Policy (OTM-R) can be seen here.
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Visit our Career page.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!