Assistant/Associate Professor in Instruction and Curriculum, TESOL Concentration
About Wenzhou-Kean University
Wenzhou-Kean University (WKU), located in Wenzhou, China, one of three Sino-American universities along with NYU Shanghai and Duke Kunshan University, is approved by the Ministry of Education of China. Launched in 2012, WKU offers a unique model of higher education in partnership with Kean University, a comprehensive, public university in the state of New Jersey that is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. WKU sits on approximately 500 beautiful acres and currently enrolls 2,900 undergraduate students, and it is now in the midst of a rapid growth that will bring enrollment to 7,000 students within the next five years. All instruction is in English and all curriculum is provided by Kean University. In addition to its current 18 undergraduate programs, WKU has been approved by the Ministry of Education for offering 8 Master’s and 3 doctorate programs. Wenzhou is one of the most vibrant and economically advanced developed cities on China’s East Coast, located one hour by plane and just over three hours by high-speed train from Shanghai.
Wenzhou-Kean University currently offers the following degree programs: Doctor of Educational Leadership (Ed.D.), Biotechnology Science (M.S.), Computer Information Systems (M.S.), Instruction and Curriculum (M.A.), Global Management (M.B.A.), and Architecture (M.Arch.), Finance (B.S.); Accounting (with emphasis on international standards and practices) (B.S.); Global Business (B.S.); Marketing (B.S.); Management (Entrepreneurship Option and Supply Chain Management Option) (B.S.); Economics (B.S.); Graphic Design (B.F.A.); Interior Design (B.F.A); Industrial Design (B.I.D.); Architectural Studies (B.A.); Computer Science (B.S.); Mathematics (Data Analytics Option) (B.A.); Biology/Cellular & Molecular (B.S.); Environmental Science (B.S.); English in Global Settings (B.A.); Psychology (B.A.); and Communication (Public Relations option) (B.A.). In addition, Wenzhou-Kean has a substantial commitment to the teaching of ESL/EFL.
About the Job:
WKU launched the graduate program in Instruction and Curriculum (TESOL Concentration) in Fall of 2020 with an initial cohort of 12 students. The planned programmatic expansion for 2021 will bring a second cohort of 18-25 students and more faculty members.
WKU is seeking vibrant candidates to teach a full range of MA TESOL graduate courses. New faculty may be asked to teach graduate-level courses in general linguistics, TESOL methods, language assessment, or a variety of other program-specific topics. In particular however, the program is seeking candidates with demonstrated teaching experience in general linguistics.
The successful candidate will have a clear record of expertise in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) and the demonstrated ability to prepare MA TESOL students to teach in both ESL and EFL contexts. Candidates with EFL teaching and teacher-training experience will be prioritized for this position. Candidates must have an ongoing agenda for student engaging research and are expected to publish research outcomes in well-recognized journals. Candidates are also expected to advise graduate students to develop research projects and produce publishable research outcomes. In addition to teaching and research, candidates are expected to contribute to the growth of the program, including, but not limited to curriculum development, program assessment, student recruitment/advisement, faculty hiring, program promotion, and internship opportunities.
This full-time faculty position will start Fall 2021. This position will be offered at the rank of tenure track Assistant or Associate Professor. The Tenure-track Assistant or Associate Professor positions are 10-month appointments that require research and publications in internationally recognized and vigorously peer-reviewed journals in the field. Tenure-track faculty members are full time, 10-month employees who teaches 24 credits per academic year. Among the 24 teaching credits, 6 credits are released for TESOL faculty to conduct graduate student engaging research and develop grant proposals. Therefore, tenure-track faculty members typically teach three graduate-level courses (3 credit hours per course) in each of the spring and fall semesters. The candidate will be expected to participate in the full range of faculty responsibilities, including high quality teaching, research, advising, student learning support, service to the university and/or professional community.
Teaching assignments and related responsibilities may include day, evening, weekend and online courses. Interest or experience in using advanced instructional technologies to improve the teaching/learning process is highly desirable.
- A Ph.D. or Ed.D. in TESOL, Applied Linguistics or closely related areas. ABD can be considered with completion prior to the effective date of employment.
- A minimum of one year of teaching experience at the post-secondary level.
- Evidence of teaching experience in TESL settings.
- Evidence of successful teaching experience at the college level, preferably graduate level (e.g. course evaluations, teaching portfolio).
- Familiarity with current trends in pedagogy and program development.
- Knowledge of and experience with assessment and accreditation is desirable.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until positions are filled. Please send cover letter, resume, statement of teaching philosophy, research statement describing research interest, past accomplishments in research and research plan, unofficial transcripts and contact information of three professional references by email to the Search Committee Chairperson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Official transcripts for all degrees and three current letters of recommendation are required before appointment.
TESOL faculty positions at WKU offer:
- Annual salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience with the range from $68,000-$75,000 for Assistant Professors; $75,000-$84,000 for Associate Professors.
- Income tax exemption depicted by tax treaty between China and some countries (for example, the United States).
- A well-rounded healthcare coverage, academic travel up to $2,000, housing options and subsidy up to $3,000, home traveling up to $6,000 (2 international round-trip airfares), a reimbursement to cover relocation expenses up to $1,000, shuttle bus to campus for work.
- WKU tuition waiver up to 80% for spouse/dependent children of faculty for the higher educational degree. And tuition discount of local private/international kindergarten, elementary, middle and high schools for children of faculty.
- A collegial environment.
- The opportunity to teach high quality students with more than a third of graduates being admitted to the graduate schools at the World’s Top 50 Universities, and about 70% of graduates at the World’s Top 100 Universities.
Wenzhou-Kean University conducts background screenings on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third-party administrator to conduct background Screenings.