The 6-month post is for a dietitian registered with the HCPC (UK) and will involve recruiting to a large dietary intervention study in inflammatory bowel disease. The post holder will assist in the project on a day-to-day basis, with a key role including recruitment of study participants from NHS hospital sites, delivery of the dietary intervention, maintaining study documentation, co-ordinating subject correspondence and conducting study visits, and ensuring measurements of primary and secondary outcomes are conducted according to standard operating protocols, as well as collection and processing of biological samples.
This post will be offered on a fixed-term contract for 6 months.
This is a full-time post - 100% full time equivalent.
- Carry out research into food additives and other aspects of diet and nutrition in inflammatory bowel disease and other populations as directed by Professor Kevin Whelan (Department of Nutritional Sciences, King’s College London)
- Collaborate with a team of researchers (including PhD students) and staff at King’s College London and at the clinical (NHS) sites in the running of the studies
- Independently recruit participants to the study from NHS hospital sites
- Screening and monitoring of study participants
- Order supplies for clinical investigations and other materials associated with the project
- Collect and process samples (stool, urine, blood and biopsies) collected from study participants
- Ensure all data is carefully and promptly collated and entered into the database throughout the study and that records and samples are properly kept and audited
- Engage in research and produce written research outputs, as set out in the research proposal and as agreed with the Principal Investigators
- Participate in all project meetings
- Participate in and contribute to the development and implementation of research programmes in subject area
- Contribute to the integration and collaboration of the research projects with other branches of the department and with external collaborators
- Contribute to the running and internal organisation and quality assurance processes of the research group
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- BSc or MSc in Dietetics
- Registered Dietitian with the Health and Care Professions Council (UK)
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Word, Excel, email, internet, and other academic research-related software, e.g. SPSS, referencing software
- Ability to work independently on a research project
- Ability to work as part of a research team
- Experience of data management and statistical analysis
- Evidence of excellent organisational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to interact well with colleagues and members of the public
- Good time management skills
- Ability to take initiative to solve technical and logistical problems
- Flexible approach to working (including travel, hours, locations)
- Experience of working on a human clinical trials/dietary intervention studies
- Experience of recruiting participants to a study
This post is subject to Disclosure and Barring Service and Occupational Health clearance.