Research Contracts Manager
School/Department Research & Innovation
Based at Cranfield Campus, Cranfield, Bedfordshire
Hours of work 37 hours per week, normally worked Monday to Friday. Flexible working will be considered.
Contract type Permanent
Salary Full time starting salary is normally in the range of £33,309 to £37,127 per annum with potential progression up to £46,409 per annum
Apply by 27/05/2021
Cranfield University Research & Innovation Professional Service Unit welcomes applications from Research Contracts Manager.
Cranfield University’s world-class expertise, large-scale facilities and unrivalled industry partnerships is creating leaders in technology and management globally. Learn more about Cranfield and our unique impact here.
The Research and Innovation Office (RIO) supports researchers in working together to achieve excellence and impact in delivering the University’s vision for research and innovation. The Research Commercial function within RIO is focused on enabling the research activities of the University whilst mitigating and protecting against contractual risk.
About the Role
The post will report to the Senior Research Contracts Manager and their primary responsibilities will be to:
- Review, draft and negotiate a range of research and commercial contracts covering the full spectrum of research related activities including agreements relating to industry sponsored research collaborations, EU contracts, charitable funding and research consortium agreements, along with NDAs, service and consultancy agreements.
- Provide clear, pragmatic advice on the implications of contractual terms within the context of the research, using a working knowledge of research contract issues, such as confidentiality, publication requirements, intellectual property, VAT and other related issues.
- Ensure that contractual terms are clear and appropriate, and that institutional risk is identified and appropriately assessed within each contract, whilst meeting the University’s approved contractual position.
- Interact with external clients, as appropriate, to communicate clearly and concisely the points of negotiation, and work internally with the appropriate researcher.
- Build, develop and maintain effective working relationships with all internal and external stakeholders.
The post holder will be expected to:
- Have demonstrable experience of contract negotiation, drafting and broad intellectual property issues, ideally as they apply in the context of a higher education institution and against the backdrop of funded research;
- Have a Law Degree or equivalent significant legal experience working in a comparable role;
- Communicate effectively and to establish rapport and credibility with internal and external stakeholders;
- Provide commercial input into negotiations, to be motivated and pro-active, and work successfully both as part of a team and independently is absolutely critical to this role.
- Have problem-solving and deal-making skills together with the ability to manage and prioritise a varied work-load from multiple clients to achieve required commercial deadlines and deliver in a time pressured environment
Our shared, stated values help to define who we are and underpin everything we do: Ambition; Impact; Respect; and Community. Find out more here. We aim to create and maintain a culture in which everyone can work and study together and realise their full potential.
Diversity and Inclusion
Our equal opportunities and diversity monitoring has shown that women and minority ethnic groups are currently underrepresented within the university and so we actively encourage applications from eligible candidates from these groups.
We actively consider flexible working options such as part-time, compressed or flexible hours and/or an element of homeworking, and whether a position can be carried out at any of our locations. We commit to exploring the possibilities for each role. Find out more here.
How to apply
For an informal discussion, please contact Emma Renehan, Senior Research Contracts Manager, on +44 (0)1234 75 8189 or (E); firstname.lastname@example.org