Associate Professor/Senior Lecturer/Lecturer in Department of Early Childhood Education
FACULTY OF EDUCATION
DEPARTMENT OF EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR / SENIOR LECTURER / LECTURER (ONE POST)
LECTURER (ONE POST)
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be expected to fulfil the duties of a Lecturer/ Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor in the Department Early Childhood Education as described in the minimum requirements. These duties include:
- Curriculum development and lecturing of modules in the programme(s) based in the Department;
- Pursuing research activities such as own research, research-based publications and the supervision of postgraduate students registered in the Department;
- Developing, presenting and co-ordinating undergraduate and postgraduate courses for pre-service and in-service teachers and other students for contact and distance programmes;
- Mentoring students for practice teaching/work integrated learning;
- Using a learning management system to develop and present courses;
- Presenting lectures and programmes in an E-learning environment;
- Providing a significant contribution to research outputs, postgraduate teaching and supervision.
- Master Degree in Early Childhood Education / Foundation Phase, or equivalent degree;
- Teaching experience in Early Childhood Education and Foundation Phase;
- Experience and expertise in curriculum development for all subjects in Early Childhood Education and Foundation Phase;
- Evidence of involvement in community engagement programmes;
- Knowledge of and experience of facilitation in an E-learning environment;
- Evidence of ability to conduct research.
Senior Lecturer (Same as for Lecturer, plus):
- PhD in Education or related field-with a topic related to Early Childhood Education and/or Foundation Phase;
- At least three years teaching experience at a Higher Education Institution in Early Childhood Education, Foundation Phase or related fields;
- Evidence of co-ordination responsibilities and membership of committees;
- Experience and expertise in curriculum development in Early Childhood Education and/or Foundation Phase;
- Experience in teaching practice/work integrated learning;
- Evidence of involvement in community engagement programmes;
- Evidence of membership of professional associations/organisations in Early Childhood Education and/or Foundation Phase.
The confirmation of probation period of two years is dependent on the successful employee meeting the below requirements.
- Experience conducting own research and research projects, and evidence of between one to five publications in accredited journals or an average of one article per year for the last three years in such journals, or equivalent units in the field of Early Childhood Education (0-9 years including Foundation Phase);
- Experience in supervising postgraduate students and evidence of completed supervised MEd and/or PhD students.
Associate Professor (Same as for Senior Lecturer, plus):
- At least five years’ teaching experience at a Higher Education Institution in Early Childhood Education and/or Foundation Phase);
- Experience in supervising postgraduate students;
- Evidence of completed supervised MEd (at least four) and PhD (at least two) students;
- Evidence of collaboration in international research projects and research publication(s) as result of the project(s);
- A proven standing as an active researcher amongst international peers as a result of publications;
- Evidence of proven research funding success;
- Evidence of membership of professional associations/organisations in Early Childhood Education (including Foundation Phase).
The confirmation of probation period of two years is dependent on the successful employee meeting the below requirement.
- Experience conducting own research and research projects, and evidence of at least ten publications in accredited journals or an average of one article per year for the last five years in such journals, or equivalent units.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
Lecturer, Senior Lecturer and Associate Professor:
- Knowledge of the following:
- South African education system and policy framework on Early Childhood Education (including Foundation Phase);
- Knowledge and experience in Mathematics and/or Foundation Phase Home Language, Sepedi, or Setswana, or Isizulu;
- Teaching methodologies of the different subjects, especially in Mathematics and/or Foundation Phase Home Language, Sepedi, or Setswana, or Isizulu;
- Appropriate language and communication skills;
- Ability to apply knowledge and skills in teaching and supervision;
- Ability to work as an individual and in a team.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Teaching experience at a Higher Education Institution in Early Childhood Education (including Foundation Phase);
- Knowledge and experience in Home Language Sepedi, or Setswana or IsiZulu for Foundation Phase teaching;
- PhD in Early Childhood Education Foundation Phase, or equivalent degree;
- Current PhD registration in Early Childhood Education/Foundation Phase or equivalent degree;
- Experience of teaching practice;
- Conduct own research and evidence of research publications;
- Experience of supervision of postgraduate students.
Senior Lecturer and Associate Professor (Same as for Lecturer, plus):
- Knowledge in the field of Mathematics and/or Foundation Phase Language and Literacy in African Languages, Home Language Sepedi, or Setswana, or Isizulu;
- Language and Literacy in Foundation Phase;
- Membership of international scholarly bodies.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for these posts, please attach:
- A comprehensive UP format CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of three peer reviewers (academic and research);
- Teaching Portfolio;
CLOSING DATE: 28 May 2021
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 August 2021, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.