Associate Professor/ Assistant Professor/ Lecturer/ Teaching Fellow, Media and Film Production
DEPARTMENT: School of Film and Television Arts, Academy of Media and Creative Technology
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Media and Film Production/Screenwriting and Creative Writing/Directing/Cinematography and Lighting
POSITION TITLE: Associate Professor /Assistant Professor/Lecturer/Teaching Fellow
The salary range for the Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Lecturer and Teaching Fellow positions is as follows:
Lecturer: 23,150-25,594 RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 28,615 RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post)
Assistant Professor: 29,046-31,993 RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 35,588 RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post)
Associate Professor: 36,127-40,189 RMB (with the opportunity to go to 42,705 RMB based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post)
POSITION OPEN DATE: 29 April 2021
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 30 June 2021
JOB ID: 1990
CONTRACT TYPE: Fixed-Term/3-year contract, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic and EMI university founded in 2006, and is a unique collaborative institution and first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for more than 100 programmes. XJTLU also aims to become truly research-led and has committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of master’s and PhD student numbers on campus. The university has over 18,000 students and nearly 1000 academic staff representing in excess of 90 nationalities. For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn
The School of Film and Television Arts was built on the departmental strengths in communication and culture. With the addition of a film school and training in practical filmmaking and the creative arts, the School is developing a mix of practice, research, creativity and industry engagement with the film, television and creative industry sectors in China and internationally. The School currently offers programmes in Digital Media Arts, TV Production and Filmmaking at UG level. Future plans include the establishment of postgraduate and PhD programmes as well.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Coordinate and deliver modules across a range of digital media arts, television production, and filmmaking subject areas
- Prepare content and lesson plans for module delivery
- Curriculum development
- Manage the media production output of projects within the School, both within the curriculum and in extra-curricular activity approved by the School
- Supervise and/or advise on creative projects
- Contribute to the further development of the School’s programmes
The successful applicant will have industry experience directly related to Film and Video Production. He/ she will be able to demonstrate media and film related theories and practical understanding within scriptwriting, cinematography, creative editing, directing, sound recording and mixing, and specialized in Post-Production. The candidate will also be a team player.
- MFA Degree in filmmaking or media production with at least 5-year experiences in the film, television or video industries. Ph.D. degree holder is preferred.
- Teaching experience within a university, college or film school environment
- Proficient working knowledge of editing, cinematography, lighting or/ directing, screening and creative writing. More skills are preferred, such as knowledge and skills in post-production, sound arts, etc.
- The ability to teach creative approaches to filmmaking, directing, and storytelling with an emphasis on short film production
- Knowledge of film and TV cinematography, lighting
- Knowledge of film arts and aesthetics
- Highly developed organisational skills: The ability to anticipate events, identify desirable outcomes and achieve goals within a specified timeframe.
- High level of verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues and work cooperatively in the School.
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
Citizenship and Visa Regulations
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 55 may be not eligible for PRC work visa.
Please submit your applications online
Applications must be submitted in a single PDF file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter specifying your suitability for the role
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact details for three references (at least a reference from current or most recent employer. Preferably current employer *and* last employer)
Informal enquiries maybe addressed to the Dean at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.
If you are unable to apply on-line please contact the Human Resource Office.
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.