Research Technician, Genomics
Location: Highfield Campus
Salary: £25,217 to £30,046 per annum
Full Time Fixed Term (until 31/05/2022)
Closing Date: Friday 23 April 2021
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Are you a highly motivated, hardworking technician who would like to support research and industry partners at one of the UK’s leading Innovation Knowledge Centres? Do you have experience in microbiological procedures that will support the research of the National Biofilms Innovation Centre’s (NBIC; www.biofilms.ac.uk)?
We are looking for a professional and proactive individual to support NBIC’s academic staff based at the University of Southampton to delivery successful inter-disciplinary research and consultancy projects. We anticipate that you will have experience of microbiological techniques, including aseptic culture technique, culture handling and working with a range of microorganisms and media. This is an excellent opportunity for a technician with a good understanding of industry needs and communications skills. You will need to have a skill level equivalent to achievement of HNC, A-Level, NVQ3 with proven work experience acquired in relevant technical support roles and job-related training.
You will be supporting research activities for NBIC at the University of Southampton. NBIC is led by teams at the core partner universities of Liverpool, Southampton, Edinburgh and Nottingham with a partnership with 48 universities and research centres across the UK as well as major global centres – The Singapore Centre for Environmental Life Sciences Engineering, the Centre for Biofilm Engineering at Montana State University and an increasing number of international research centres.
What will you bring to the role
To be appointed as Research Technician - Genomics you will have:
- Experience of applying understanding of specialist technical equipment, processes and procedures relevant to microbiology, including aseptic culture technique, culture handling and working with a range of microorganisms and media.
- Ability to successfully plan and deliver technical support of projects over a period of several months.
- To plan and oversee the provision of specialist technical support for defined research or consultancy projects, interpreting and meeting the requirements of the customer, and deploying defined resources to ensure operational and cost-efficiency.
- To assist in building new relationships with external companies, with a view to attracting additional industry contracts to NBIC and the University.
- To advise on the pricing and purchasing of equipment and consumables and ensure adequate stocks of supplies, ensuring finances and work resources are monitored efficiently and appropriately.
This full-time, fixed-term post is available until the 31 May 2022.
For informal enquiries contact Professor Jeremy Webb at email@example.com. Please include a covering letter and full CV in your application.
You should submit your completed online application form at www.jobs.soton.ac.uk. The application deadline will be midnight on the closing date stated above. If you need any assistance, please call Kate Pounds (Recruitment Team) on +44 (0) 23 8059 5456. Please quote reference 1362921BJ on all correspondence.