Research Associate in the Department of Engineering
Applicants are invited to apply for a one-year fixed term Research Associate (RA) position to join the Department of Engineering at King’s College London working with Dr. Yansha Deng.
The post is funded by the industrial partner, with the aims to design machine learning algorithms for wireless access in 5G New Radio, with potential outcomes for patents. The project requires knowledge of machine learning and wireless communications.
You will be a conscientious, innovative experimental scientist who has successfully completed a PhD (or equivalent) in Telecoms, computer science and engineering including electrical/electronic engineering or similar. Experience in design machine learning algorithms under 5G New Radio standard is preferred.
The role may involve irregular hours, with increased periods of activity leading up to deadlines such as publications or deliverable milestones.
This post will be offered on an a fixed-term contract for 1 year.
This is a full-time post - 100% full time equivalent
- Design machine learning algorithms for access control in 5G New Radio.
- Prepare patent with the industrial partner if possible.
- Work closely with the Principal Investigators (PI) to ensure that the aims and objectives of the project are achieved in a timely and effective way.
- Write papers for publication in journals and for presentation at conferences, seminars and other research meetings.
- Participate in relevant events within the institution or externally, in order to build contacts to facilitate exchange of information and advance thinking.
- Support events, conferences and workshops run by the project to develop the project outputs and research agenda.
- Contribute to the development of further research proposals.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge and experience
Education/qualification and training
1. BSc in Telecoms, Computer Science, Electronic Engineering or related area.
2. PhD awarded in relevant topic of Telecoms, Computer Science, Electronic Engineering n or related area (or near completion).
3. Ability to demonstrate a record of peer reviewed journal publications.
Personal characteristics/other requirements:
4. Strong appetite for interdisciplinary research.
5. Ability to attend regular meetings with project partners.
6. Ability to work collaboratively and independently.
7. Good interpersonal / team working skills
Knowledge and skills
1. Knowledge of multi-agent deep reinforcement learning, federated learning .
2. Knowledge of wireless communication.
3. Knowledge of channel access technology.
4. Ability to use Python and MATLAB.
5. Research experience in machine learning, wireless communications, or related areas.
Please note that this is a PhD level role but candidates who have submitted their thesis and are awaiting award of their PhDs will be considered. Should the successful candidate be awaiting the award of their PhD, the appointment will be made at Grade 5, spinal point 30 with the title of Research Assistant until confirmation of the award of the PhD has been received. Upon confirmation of the award of the PhD, the job title will become Research Associate and the salary will increase to Grade 6, spine point 31.