Postdoc Fellow Treatment of Road Water from Tunnel Washing and Run-Off
About the position
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering has a vacancy for a Postdoctoral researcher at the Water and Wastewater group as part of the project “Treatment of Road Water from Tunnel Washing and Run-Off”, funded by the Research Council of Norway.
Tunnels are an important part of all urban transport infrastructure. They represent only a small part of the road network but are a hotspot for pollutant accumulation (much higher concentrations than in road runoff). Tunnels are regularly washed due to maintenance reasons and traffic safety. Detergent is used during the wash, that will contribute to pollutant mobilisation. Compounds identified in the wash water include 50 types of PAH, several urban markers such as organophosphate flame-retardants, phthalates, benzothiazoles, plasticizers, heavy metals. Advanced treatment is therefore necessary before the water can be discharged into the environment.
The position will contribute to identifying suitable treatment strategies that are able to balance technical and financial effort, water quality, maintenance requirements and overall sustainability. Research will be done both at lab scale at NTNU, there various pilot plants are available, and at full scale in a road tunnel. Treatment processes under current consideration include sedimentation, conventional and membrane filtration, and adsorption.
In addition to field sampling, general water quality analysis and experimental work, the postdoctoral researcher will have particular focus on the evaluation of whole effluent toxicity and environmental toxicological effects of wash water before and after treatment. This will include the performance of different types of bioassays.
The postdoctoral researcher will strengthen a small team, including an associate professor, a PhD and master students, already working with the topic. You will report to Associate Professor. Main place of work will be Trondheim.
Duties of the position
- Assessment of water quality and environmental toxicological effects
- Assessment of water treatment efficiency
- Support field sampling and experimental work
- Contribute to supervision of PhD and master students
- Project management tasks as reporting and communication of results with project partners
- Preparation of journal and conference papers and presentation of results at international conferences
Required selection criteria
A postdoctoral research fellowships is a qualification position in which the main objective is qualification for work in academic positions. You must have completed a Norwegian doctoral degree in in environmental or civil engineering, environmental chemistry, environmental toxicology or similar. Alternatively, a corresponding foreign doctoral degree recognized as equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree is required. Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate effectively with all the partners in the project are also mandatory.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant.
- Strong theoretical and experimental background in aquatic environmental toxicology, i.e. with in-vitro bioassays
- Strong knowledge about water quality characterization
- Experience at working in an international environment (e.g. EU projects)
- Very good written and oral English language skills
Preferred selection criteria
- Good knowledge about common water treatment processes
- Strong programming skills (e.g. Python, R, Matlab)
- Project management skills
- Fluent in Norwegian (or Swedish / Danish)
- Ability to work both individually and in a team environment, at a high level of personal responsibility
- Creative and initiative problem-solver
- Ability to think “out of the box”
- Motivated and ambitious candidate
- Excellent communication skills in scientific writing and oral presentation
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
The employment period is 2 years.
Postdoctoral candidates are placed in code 1352, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 545 300 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
The position is subject to external funding.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
The application must include:
- CV, certificates, diplomas and other documents that prove relevant experience
- Motivation letter, also elaborating on why the applicant considers him- or herself specifically suited for the position
- Theses, publications, and all other scientific material that the applicant wants to be considered. Multi-authored publications will be considered but, in cases where the impact of the applicant on the publication is not evident, a brief description of the role of the applicant in the work should be enclosed.
- Name and address of three referee
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
In accordance with The Public Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Thomas Meyn, telephone +47 4176 4435, email: email@example.com. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Hege Johansen, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
If you are invited for interview you must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number IV-124/21 when applying.
Application deadline: 14.05.21
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
We conduct research and teaching in civil and transportation engineering, technical planning, structural engineering, water and wastewater engineering and hydraulic engineering. Graduates from our programmes become employees – in both the public and private sectors – with a sustainability mindset combined with competitive knowledge and skills. The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Engineering.
Deadline 14th May 2021
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service