Research Associate, Combinatorial Designs
School of Physics, Mathematics and Computing
Department of Mathematics
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to ‘innovate and inspire’ there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top University.
About the team
The Centre for the Mathematics of Symmetry and Computation (CMSC) is dedicated to research in algebra and combinatorics located within the Department of Mathematics and Statistics. The CMSC has world-class researchers particularly in permutation group theory, computational group theory, algebraic graph theory, matroid theory, finite geometry and related topics. With a weekly seminar, annual research retreat, numerous international visitors and a collaborative atmosphere, the CMSC provides a vibrant and stimulating research environment.
About the opportunities
As the appointee, you will perform research on problems related to combinatorial designs, in accordance with the aims outlined in the ARC Discovery Project “Exceptionally symmetric combinatorial designs”, under the direct supervision of Senior Lecturer Alice Devillers and Emeritus Professor Cheryl E. Praeger at the UWA Crawley campus.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- A PhD (or near completion) in a relevant field
- Research background in some of the following topics: permutation groups, group actions on structures such as designs, finite geometries or, graphs
- Experience with mathematical software Magma and/or Gap
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a group
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability and willingness to perform research administration tasks
- Strong research publication record relative to opportunity
Full details of the position responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description. In preparing your application you are asked to submit curriculum vitae and a document clearly addressing the selection criteria to demonstrate that you meet the criteria.
Closing date: Friday, 28 May 2021
This position is open to international applicants
Application details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce. We celebrate inclusion and diversity and believe gender equity is fundamental to achieving our goal of being a top 50 university by 2050.
- We have child friendly areas on campus, including childcare facilities. Flexible work arrangements, part-time hours and job sharing will all be considered.
- UWA has been awarded Platinum Employer Status for being a Top Ten Employer for LGBTI Inclusion by the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2019).
- UWA has also been awarded Athena Swan Bronze Accreditation in 2020.