Postdoctoral Research Assistant, Laboratory medicine
- Full-time, fixed term position (1 year)
- Academic Level A6 ($87,171) + 17% Superannuation
- Based at the Bundoora campus, but may be required to work and/or be based at other campuses of the University
About the College
The STEM College holds a leading position and expertise in the science, technology, engineering, mathematics and health (STEM) fields. We are uniquely positioned to influence and partner with industry, as never before.
STEM College is a community of exceptional STEM researchers, teachers, inventors, designers and game-changers, supported by talented professional staff. We offer higher education programs across all STEM disciplines at the Bachelor, Master and PhD levels, and ensure our students experience an education that is work-aligned and life-changing.
Further information on STEM College in this link.
Our Values inspire us, wherever we are in the world, and guide how we live and work together.
Imagination. Agility. Courage. Passion. Impact. Inclusion.
What unites us is our purpose and our values; they are at the heart of who we are, what we stand for, how we make decisions and connect with each other.
Our people make everything at the University possible. We encourage new approaches to work and learning, stimulating change to drive positive impact. RMIT exists to create transformative experiences for our students, getting them ready for life and work. You will be a part of a productive and collaborative team, who values working relationships and outcomes through open and inclusive planning, continuous information sharing and transparent work practices.
About the Role
As the Postdoctoral Research Assistant, you will undertake research activities towards understanding the process of foam cell formation using novel microfluidic technologies.
- optimising the co-culture of two-three different cell types inside a microfluidic model of blood vessels, generate multilayer tissue models
- performing various microscopy, gene, and protein assays to investigate the activation of inflammatory responses by endothelial cells
- studying the recruitment of monocytes into the subendothelial layer, differentiation of the monocytes into macrophages, and the formation of foam cells using microfluidic technologies capable of mimicking the properties of human vessels.
As the research assistant, you will be part of RMITs Mechanobiology & Microfluidics Research Group and be mentored by a multidisciplinary team, including members specialising in vascular biology, mechanobiology, microfluidics, and machine learning from RMIT University, Baker Heart and Diabetes Institute, and our industry partner, Leading Technology Group (LTG).
As the successful applicant you will have:
- Evidence of research output, including publications and conference presentations and/or technical reports in the field
- Ability to generate alternative funding projects through effective liaison with industry and government
- Extensive experience in tissue engineering, mammalian cell cultures, co-cultures of two or three types of mammalian cells, biological assays to monitor cell behavior and function
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in confocal and multiphoton microscopy, flow cytometry, western blotting, and statistical analysis
- Comprehensive understanding of foam cell formation and vascular biology
- Demonstrated experience in development and application of new assays/technologies
- A proven track record of scientific innovations and the ability to incorporate new ideas and approaches into scientific investigations
- A PhD in cellular and molecular biology, tissue engineering or mechanobiology
- Appointment to this position is subject to passing a Working with Children check
Bring Your Whole Self to Work
We are better for our diversity. When we listen to those who are different to us, or challenge us, we grow stronger together. When we feel like we belong, we can achieve so much more. We respect each other, embrace our differences and build a sense of belonging in our team and beyond.
We are proud that our dedication to diversity has been recognised by a broad spectrum of external organisations. Visit our Linkedin Life pages to learn more and see some of our most recent wins.
RMIT has a strong dhumbali (commitment) to the employment, development and retention of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people within a culturally safe environment; we strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Please submit your CV, cover letter and separately address the Key Selection Criteria for this position by clicking on the 'Apply link below.
Applications close on Sunday, 9th of May 2021 at 11:55 pm.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact Dr Sara Baratchi - Senior Lecturer, School of Health and Biomedical Sciences at firstname.lastname@example.org or on +61 3 9925 7036.
Receive opportunities at RMIT directly to your inbox by subscribing here.
RMIT is a Disability Confident Recruitment Team and we are happy to adjust the recruitment process for your accessibility requirements. Please contact us at TalentSupport@rmit.edu.au telling us your preferred type of communication and we will be in touch as soon as possible to discuss your requirements.
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to being a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.
Please note that whilst we still accept applications from any persons interested in our roles, due to the impacts of COVID-19, we are currently prioritising applications from those with current working rights in Australia and who are not affected by travel restrictions. Please see the latest updates to Australias immigration and border arrangements during the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/
We are a 2021 Circle Back Initiative Employer - we commit to respond to every applicant.