Research Assistant, Power System Analysis and Control
Research Assistant - Power system analysis and control (Electrical & Biomedical Engineering)
- Full-time, 1-year fixed term position based at RMIT City campus but may be required to work and/or be based at another campus of the University
- Opportunity to conduct high quality and effective research & development activities in power system analysis and control
- Report directly to the Associate Dean, Electrical and Biomedical Engineering with day-to-day reporting to the Project Leader Associate Professor Mahdi Jalili
- Remuneration at Academic Level A ($68,983 - $93,569) + 17% superannuation
RMIT is a multi-sector university of technology, design and enterprise with more than 91,000 students and 11,000 staff globally. RMIT offers postgraduate, undergraduate, vocational education and online programs to provide students with a variety of work-relevant pathways.
Our purpose is to offer life-changing experiences for our students, and to help shape the world with research, innovation, teaching and industry engagement. With strong industry connections forged over 130 years, collaboration with industry remains integral to RMITs leadership in education, applied and innovative research, and to the development of highly skilled, globally focused graduates.
Our Values inspire us, wherever we are in the world, and guide how we live and work together.
Imagination. Agility. Courage. Passion. Impact. Inclusion.
What unites us is our purpose and our values; they are at the heart of who we are, what we stand for, how we make decisions and connect with each other.
Our people make everything at the University possible. We encourage new approaches to work and learning, stimulating change to drive positive impact. RMIT exists to create transformative experiences for our students, getting them ready for life and work. You will be a part of a productive and collaborative team, who values working relationships and outcomes through open and inclusive planning, continuous information sharing and transparent work practices.
About the College
The STEM College holds a leading position and expertise in the science, technology, engineering, mathematics and health (STEM) fields. We are uniquely positioned to influence and partner with industry, as never before.
STEM College is a community of exceptional STEM researchers, teachers, inventors, designers and game-changers, supported by talented professional staff. We offer higher education programs across all STEM disciplines at the Bachelor, Master and PhD levels, and ensure our students experience an education that is work-aligned and life-changing.
Further information on STEM College in this link.
About You and the Role
You will be responsible for:
- Conduct effective & efficient research individually or as part of a team, including: managing research projects within timelines and budget and deliver the research outcomes through publications in high quality journals as lead or co-author;
- Prepare & produce competitive research grant proposals, applications and generating funding through strong linkage and effective liaison with industry and government;
- Work independently as well as collaboratively with national and international researchers in contributing to high-quality research outcomes and developing new research initiatives, as well as delivery of seminars and conference attendance;
- Contribute 10% of your time to mentor & supervise undergraduate students and participate in learning program activities appropriate to areas of expertise related to the research project.
Mandatory: PhD in Engineering, Computer Science, or Applied Mathematics.
- Demonstrated excellent research track record and recognition for quality research outputs in demand forecasting and/or deep learning, evidenced by publications, development of new research initiatives, competitive research funding, and industry links;
- Extensive experience with Power Factory simulation package
- Experience in teaching & supervision at undergraduate levels;
Note: Appointment to this position is subject to passing a Working with Children check.
Bring your whole self to work
We are better for our diversity. When we listen to those who are different to us, or challenge us, we grow stronger together. When we feel like we belong, we can achieve so much more. We respect each other, embrace our differences and build a sense of belonging in our team and beyond.
We are proud that our dedication to diversity has been recognized by a broad spectrum of external organizations. Visit our Linkedin Life pages to learn more and see some of our most recent wins.
RMIT has a strong dhumbali (commitment) to the employment, development and retention of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people within a culturally safe environment; we strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter outlining your experience and achievements by clicking on the 'Apply now' link. Please note that a separate response to Key Selection Criteria as stated on the Position Description is required. For any enquiries regarding this role, please contact Associate Professor Mahdi Jalili, (firstname.lastname@example.org)
RMIT is a Disability Confident Recruitment Team and we are happy to adjust the recruitment process for your accessibility requirements. Please contact us at TalentSupport@rmit.edu.au telling us your preferred type of communication and we will be in touch as soon as possible to discuss your requirements.
Applications close Wednesday 28th April 2021.
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to being a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.
Please note that whilst we still accept applications from any persons interested in our roles, due to the impacts of COVID-19, we are currently prioritising applications from those with current working rights in Australia and who are not affected by travel restrictions. Please see the latest updates to Australias immigration and border arrangements during the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/