We are looking for a talented and highly motivated researcher to work on research initiatives in the domain of 3D geospatial data, urban analytics, and GIScience.
Candidates must have a strong computational affinity and a master degree in geographical information science, computer science, geomatics, or another relevant field of study, with a successful track record.
The research assistant will be supervised by the principal investigator Dr Filip Biljecki, Urban Analytics Lab, NUS School of Design and Environment.
Scope and responsibilities
Your key responsibilities will be:
- Conducting research activities
- Exploring new research directions and experimenting with new datasets and technologies
- Assisting the PI in the management of the research group and its activities
- Preparation of publications and managing other forms of research output such as software and data
- Assisting with funding applications
You should demonstrate that you possess:
- A master degree in a related discipline from a reputable university. Current master candidates are eligible to apply as well, provided that they are in the final stage of their studies and that their degree will be completed before the start of the appointment.
- An ability to conduct research activities independently.
- Excellent writing skills and a strong affinity to publish.
- Prior experience in one of the following areas: GIS, Geomatics, 3D city modelling, computer science, urban planning, and/or urban simulations.
- Good communication skills in English, and an ability to present research in both academic and non-academic venues.
- Experience with programming (preferably Python and/or C/C++). Having built software used by others and/or scientific software experience is a plus.
- Curiosity and passion to explore new concepts, methods and technologies, and capability of identifying and quickly learning the most suitable tools for the research on the go.
- A positive and proactive stance on open science, preferably with demonstrated activities such as using and developing open-source software, releasing data as open data, and promoting reproducible research.
Please apply by email (email@example.com & please write “Application for the RA position” in the subject), including the following materials:
- Cover letter (up to 2 pages) briefly indicating (i) your relevant experience and future research interests and plans; and (ii) how do you intend to contribute to our growing research group and enhance its activities. The letter should also include the expected availability / preferred starting date.
- Names and contact information for three referees.
- Other materials that indicate possessing the required qualifications, e.g. link to a public Github repository you have developed, talks, and portfolio.
In accordance with the Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA), please provide consent for the collection, use and disclosure of personal data, using the NUS Personal Data Consent for Job Applicants form.
We appreciate your understanding that only applicants shortlisted for the interview will be notified. Shortlisted candidates will later be asked to provide the full documentation, e.g. copy of diploma, letters of recommendation; these do not have to be submitted at this stage.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: School of Design And Environment