Postdoctoral Research Associate/Fellow in Marine Robotics
- Join a world-class marine robotics research team
- Be part of the development of novel Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs) for littoral survey
- Full time, 2 year fixed term position, offering a base salary of $93 - $128K p.a., plus leave loading and a generous employer's contribution to superannuation
About the opportunity
The University of Sydney's Australian Centre for Field Robotics (ACFR) is one of Australia's leading robotics research groups and undertakes fundamental and applied research in the area of field robotics. Our marine systems group is focused on the development of novel imaging payloads, sensors and vehicle systems for marine survey, visualisation, clustering and classification of extensive marine-based image archives, characterisation of change in multi-year surveys and adaptive mission planning for multi-vehicle systems. We lead Australia's Integrated Marine Observing System (IMOS) AUV facility and undertake marine surveys at sites around Australia and overseas. We are also a core member of the Defence Cooperative Research Centre (DCRC) in Trusted Autonomous Systems (TAS), led by Thales Australia.
In the ACFR, we have funding available through the DCRC TAS program to support a Postdoctoral Research Associate/Fellow to undertake fundamental and applied research related to the development, design and deployment of novel AUV systems for littoral survey. The project will explore vehicle design, navigation, perception and control systems that will allow teams of vehicles to operate in nearshore environments. Applications include rapid environmental assessment and mine counter measures operations but also extend to environmental monitoring, marine archaeology, deep-sea geology and asset inspection.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Postdoctoral Research Associate/Fellow who has:
- a PhD in a relevant field
- extensive knowledge of autonomous marine systems
- practical knowledge of AUV systems, including vehicle design, perception, communications, navigation, planning and control
- field experience deploying underwater or other advanced robotic systems are desirable
For more information on the position and University, please view the position description available from the job's listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the job requisition number 0079861 to apply.
Please note: Visa sponsorship is only available for this position for candidates who are currently located within Australia.
Closing date: April 26, 2021
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
More searches like this
- Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Academic Posts jobs in Sydney
- Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Research Fellowships jobs in Sydney
- Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Postdocs jobs in Sydney
- Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Research Related jobs in Sydney
- Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Research Associate jobs in Sydney