Lecturer / Assistant Professor / Associate Professor in Digital Media Arts
LECTURER/ ASSISTANT PROFESSOR/ ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR in DIGITAL MEDIA ARTS
DEPARTMENT: School of Film and Television Arts, Academy of Media and Creative Technology
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Digital Media Arts / Visual Communication/Motion Graphics
POSITION TITLE: Lecturer/ Assistant Professor/ Associate Professor
SALARY: The salary range for different positions is as follows:
Lecturer: 23,150-25,594RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 28,615RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post)
Assistant Professor: 29,046-31,993RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 35,588RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post)
Associate Professor: 36,127-40,189RMB (with the opportunity to go to 42,705RMB based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post)
POSITION OPEN DATE: 21th March 2021
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 21th April 2021
JOB ID: 1822
CONTRACT TYPE: Full-time
UNIVERSITY AND DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW:
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a unique collaborative institution and the first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for all programmes. Formed in 2006, the first cohort of students graduated in August 2010. The University now has almost 15,000 students studying on campus. The language of instruction is English. XJTLU aims to become truly research-led, and has recently committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of PhD student numbers on campus.
XJTLU is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP). Suzhou has been ranked the 74th most liveable city in the 2018 Global Liveability Index. Additionally, it is well-connected via nearby airports to cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei, and via high-speed rail to other major cities in China. SIP is a major growth zone, including operations run by nearly one-fifth of the Fortune 500 top global companies. Greater Suzhou is now the fourth largest concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP, and the SIP has a higher GDP per capita than the UK. The broader Suzhou area encompasses the spirit of both old and new in China, with the historic old town’s canals, UNESCO World Heritage Site gardens, and the I.M. Pei-designed Suzhou Museum attracting millions of tourists annually. SIP offers an excellent quality of life with high environmental standards. The nearby Jinji Lake provides attractive views, by day and by night, and there is a variety of shopping facilities, international and local restaurants, entertainment hubs and nightlife. Suzhou is also home to four international schools.
Brief summary of the department:
The School of Film and Television Arts was built on the departmental strengths in communication and culture. With the addition of trainings in making creative content and arts, the School has been constantly developing a mix of practice, research, creativity and industry engagement with the cultural and creative industry sectors in China and internationally. The School currently offers programmes in Digital Media Arts, TV Production and Filmmaking at UG level. Future plans include the establishment of postgraduate and PhD programmes as well.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Coordinate and deliver modules across a range of digital media arts, television production, and filmmaking subject areas
- Prepare content and lesson plans for module delivery
- Curriculum development
- Manage media arts output of projects within the School, both within the curriculum and in extra-curricular activity approved by the School
- Supervise and/or advise on creative projects
- Contribute to the further development of the Department’s programmes
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES: The successful applicants will have academic and/or industry experience directly related to Digital Media Arts, Motion Design and/or Interactive Design projects. He/ she will be able to demonstrate practical knowledge and understanding of creative design processes. They will also be expected to teach fundamental modules on visual aesthetics and design, including visual communcation, 2d/graphics design, and creative media authouring skills. In terms of advanced specialties, the person will be expected to have developed extended practices in motion media-related areas, e.g. expressive motion graphics, visual storytelling, interactive media or other applications oriented to generating creative content.
We are open to applicants who present themselves with high relevance to these attributes. Specifically, the successful applicant will work around with the existing staff whose expertise are geared towards Media and Entertainment industry. We thus value highly the experience directly related to such industry. The available number of posts and their desired specialties are:
- Visual Communication Design: 1
- Motion Design: 2
- Interactive Media: 1
- Terminal degrees (PhD/MFA) in the relevant subject areas
- Research (desirable) and teaching experience within a university environment
- Proficient working knowledge of Digital Media Arts-related software, e.g. Adobe Creative Suite, 2D/3D Multimedia Authoring Applications, Interactive Content Developing Tools
- The ability to teach creative design processes for Digital Media Arts students.
- Knowledge of emerging technologies such as VR, AR.
- Knowledge of design management and practical opportunities for aspiring motion designers.
- Highly developed organisational skills: The ability to anticipate events, identify desirable outcomes and achieve goals within a specified timeframe.
- High level of verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues and work cooperatively in the School.
- Experience or willingness in developing practice-based research/applied research
- Exhibition/show planning and execution
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 55 may be not eligible for PRC work visa.
Please submit your applications online
Applications must be submitted in a single PDF file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter specifying your suitability for the role
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact details for three references (at least a reference from current or most recent employer. Preferably current employer *and* last employer)
Informal enquiries maybe addressed to the Dean at email@example.com.Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.
If you are unable to apply on-line please contact the Human Resource Office.
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.