Post-Doctoral - Molecular Ecology of Tree-Insect Interactions
Post-Doctoral Position - Molecular Ecology of Tree-Insect Interactions
Faculty of Forestry and Wood Sciences, Czech University of Life Sciences Prague, invites applicants for the position of:
Our team estimates the contributions of termites and other essential forest insects on their manifold environmental-engineering or dead wood processing activities serving the vital processes of Earth’s ecosystems. Often symbiotic microorganisms contribute to such engineering. However, very little is known about them. We aim to obtain a comprehensive understanding of microbial contribution in ecosystem services (i.e., nutrient recycling) by termites and other target forest insects. To disentangle the roles of termites and other forest insects with their allied microbial consortia (together known as holobionts), and environmental factors in organic matter recycling, we will deploy a series of field and lab experiments. We will also investigate the biosynthesis of termite trail pheromones and other chemical cues that orchestrated the hallmark of termite eusociality and insect eusociality in general.
We are seeking an individual to join our project, “Advanced research supporting the forestry and wood-processing sector´s adaptation to global change and the 4th industrial revolution.” The project is co-financed by the Operational Program Research, Development and Education. As a part of this project, the individual will collaborate on data collection, data analysis, and manuscript preparations.
This work will be done in collaboration with Dr Amit Roy, a sub-programme leader of the Czech University of Life Sciences project.
- Carries out R&D activities within the assigned sub-tasks and is encouraged to take part in further fundraising with senior scientists;
- Interact with other collaborators at the Czech University of Life Sciences Prague and other institutions
- Cooperates with and supervises students of the Research Centre in the field of his/her expertise;
- Publishes the results of his/her work in renowned international journals;
- Reports regularly to the leader of sub-programme.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Completed Ph.D. education;
- Having at least three first-author publications in the Web of Science enlisted journals (JIMP).
- Research experiences of molecular biology and physiology of insects, especially transcriptomics, RNAi, and/or proteomics studies;
- Experience in NGS data analysis is an advantage;
- Evidence of publication activity at the level of international, good impact factor publications; Excellent English communication and writing skills.
THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS MUST BE PROVIDED WITH THE APPLICATION
- Curriculum Vitae including publication list;
- Letter of motivation;
- List of at least 2 individuals who may be contacted as references
- Working on a full-time position (12 months contract), with possibilities of extension;
- Salary: 1 500 - 1900 € per month depending on experience (living expenses in Prague are low and University can provide subsidized housing);
- Place of work: Faculty of Forestry & Wood Sciences, Czech University of Life Sciences (CZU), Kamýcká 129, 165 00 Prague – Suchdol, Czech Rep. (EU);
- Participation in the creation of new centre for excellence research at the Faculty of Forestry and Wood Sciences CZU in Prague, Czech Republic;
- Benefits of the CZU employee (25 days of annual leave, subsidized meals and other)
- Work in a dynamic, international, cooperative and high professional quality team;
- Extend research networks by participation in international conferences and presentation of research findings;
- Working language in English.
EXPECTED STARTING DATE: May 2021
For more information about the EVA 4.0 project visit https://eva.fld.czu.cz/en
We are looking forward to your application.
Submit your application to email@example.com by 2nd of April 2021!
Czech University of Life Sciences Prague is committed to employment equality (esp. European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers) and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates fulfilling requirements specified in this announcement.