Senior Technical Assistant
FACULTY OF HEALTH SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF PHYSIOLOGY
SENIOR TECHNICAL ASSISTANT
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Managing and maintaining discipline-related Physiology and cell culture-related laboratories;
- Teaching research techniques to postgraduate students;
- Providing research support including planning and executing experiments in conjunction with project leaders, as well as collecting and processing research data
- Preparing and presenting practical classes;
- Marking assignments/worksheets/practical tests;
- Processing student marks;
- Performing general administrative- and financial system support in the Department.
- A BSc Honours degree in Physiology
- Three years’ experience:
- In research with hands-on experience of a variety of laboratory techniques relating to cell culture, physiology and biochemistry;
- As a technical/laboratory assistant;
- In laboratory maintenance;
- In teaching/student tutorial presentations;
- In the processing of student marks.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Knowledge of the research process;
- Knowledge of laboratory techniques and safety procedures;
- Computer skills including MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, email, internet), reference management programme, e.g. Endnote, and a statistical analysis programme;
- Appropriate language and communication skills.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- MSc degree in Physiology;
- One year previous experience in laboratory management.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 05 March 2021
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms FI Mabaso, Tel: (012) 356 3244/ via email firstname.lastname@example.org for application-related enquiries, and Prof AM Joubert, Tel: (012) 012 319 2246/ via email email@example.com for enquiries relating to the post content..
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 May 2021, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.