Assistant/Associate Professors – Engineering Educators
NMITE is proud to be a new provider of higher education in Hereford. Teaching and engineering focussed, we are committed to authentic learning, developing skills and mindsets, a transformative educational experience, interdisciplinary approaches, innovative provision, and local, regional, national, and international impact. Supported by Government, industry, and the engineering profession, we aim to be a game-changer in every facet of our operations and educational programmes. NMITE is open to learners with the creativity, imagination, and determination to solve society’s challenges, not just those with A-level maths and physics.
Our flagship educational programme is the challenge led MEng Integrated Engineering, deeply connected to industrial and community partners. Our medium-term programme strategy spans undergraduate, postgraduate, apprenticeship, executive and CPD provision and we particularly welcome applicants who are enthusiastic across these learner communities. In return we offer you a once in a lifetime opportunity to be founding faculty in a greenfield HEI.
We are now looking to make academic appointments that widen and deepen our team of educators passionate about the future of engineering and invite applications from candidates who can teach in at least two areas of relevance. These areas include statics, dynamics, electrical engineering, control engineering, electronics, flow, energy, power, materials, reliability, engineering mathematics, architectural engineering, quantitative social science, arts and humanities, innovation strategy/management, future of work, manufacturing management, IoT, supply chain and logistics.
What We Are Looking For
Successful candidates will be effective communicators and facilitators, have a collaborative mindset, be collegiate problem solvers, and be creative and open to new ideas. You will have a desire to engage with, mentor and motivate students, and want to teach future engineers and professionals in a forward-looking, unique, start-up HEI.
Assistant Professor – Person Specification
Successful candidates will have :
- Facilitated engineering learning, ideally in a higher education or industry context.
- Engaged with new and effective ways of learning.
- Proven success in a professional environment related to their disciplinary speciality (e.g., Electronics, Manufacturing, Economics, Dynamics), whether industrial or academic
- Contributed to positive impact across a programme or initiative.
- Worked with a variety of different groups of people such as industry, academia, and/or the community.
- A relevant Master's degree, or a relevant Bachelor's degree that is complemented by professional or relevant experience and accomplishments.
- An awareness of, and interest in, teaching and learning related to disciplinary specialty.
- A commitment to engineering education.
- A reflective attitude towards teaching and learning.
- An awareness of how their area of specialty relates to other disciplines.
- Membership of a professional body or evidence of other commitment to building professional standing.
- An ability to work successfully in teams in any context.
- An ability to evaluate own performance and set own goals.
Desired criteria include a teaching qualification and professional recognition as an educator (e.g. AFHEA/FHEA).
Applicants applying for an Associate Professor position will need to additionally demonstrate:
- Track record of success in teaching engineering or engineers, ideally in a higher education or industry context.
- Experience developing educational initiatives.
- Experience with creating or developing novel pedagogies or innovative learning activities.
- Advanced level of qualification (e.g. PhD) or professional experience.
- Excellence in professional environment related to expertise, whether industrial or academic
- Experience engaging with and responding to a variety of different stakeholders including industry, academia, and/or the community.
- Experience delivering positive impact across an institution.
- Ability to employ reflection and evidence-based learning to enhance practice.
- Ability to provide constructive and actionable feedback and/or feedforward to others.
Desired criteria include teaching qualification and enhanced professional recognition as an educator (e.g. SFHEA)
We offer competitive salaries and a competitive benefits package, including pension scheme, life assurance, 30 days holidays (plus Bank Holidays & closure days), ongoing training & development. We also have a clear progression framework in place. Most importantly, NMITE offers a once in a lifetime opportunity to be part of something new. Working in the historic city of Hereford, you will be instrumental in developing a new way of educating engineers for the 21st Century. We offer you the opportunity to be the change that you want to see.
Please email a full academic CV, covering letter and a two-minute video to email@example.com. In your video, explain why you want the role, what areas of teaching expertise you offer, and why this expertise is important for future engineers, society, and industry. Your covering letter should outline how you meet the person specification.
Informal questions about the roles can be addressed to the Chief Academic Officer, Professor Beverley Gibbs (Beverley.firstname.lastname@example.org)
NMITE is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community – a place where we can be ourselves and succeed on merit. Whilst all applicants will be judged on merit alone, we particularly welcome applications from groups currently underrepresented in engineering education. Part time proposals and secondment arrangements may also be considered.
The opening date for applications is Friday 5th February 2021. The closing date for completed applications is Monday 8th March 2021. Interviews will be held in the weeks commencing 22nd and 29th March 2021.