Research Fellow (KTP Associate)
Job title Research Fellow
Job reference 0000010186
Date posted 05/02/2021
Application closing date 05/03/2021
Salary Grade 5, £32,816.00 per annum
Package Generous opportunities for professional development including via dedicated mentoring from industry and academia.
Research Fellow (KTP Associate) – Fixed term for up to 30 months
An exciting opportunity is available to join an inter-disciplinary KTP funded project. This aims to utilise world-class expertise and facilities at the Centre for AI and Data Science (CAIDS) at Edinburgh Napier University (ENU), in combination with those available at Ace Aquatec, to develop, test and incorporate innovative sensing and AI-based predictive analytics approaches to improve fish health.
The successful associate will be based at Ace Aquatec headquarters in Dundee, and will work closely with academics at ENU to deliver a successful project. The work will involve travel between the Dundee and Edinburgh sites, as well as travel to other Ace Aquatec sites/clients as appropriate.
The role will enable a motivated individual with the relevant skills and knowledge to design and embed innovative predictive modelling capabilities, built upon a sensing analytics engine, computer vision and machine learning (ML) algorithms, into Ace Aquatec’s business structure to improve fish health.
Further information about the ENU School of Computing can be found here. Additional facts and figures on the University can be found here. Further information on Ace Aquatec can be found here.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Processing, aggregating and organising multi-scale data (including from imaging and embedded sensors) for developing AI-based predictive models of individual fish identification, weight estimation and sea lice detection.
- Developing and applying innovative approaches for fish and sea lice counting.
- Embedding technology and upskilling company staff.
- Preparing academic papers and patent applications.
- Supporting company scale up and exploitation of new technology.
Who we are looking for:
- A highly-motivated, flexible and adaptable individual who brings:
- A strong background (with a MSc or preferably PhD degree) in: data science, AI, Internet of Things (IoT) cloud computing/analytics, or a related discipline
- Experience of developing and applying data science, machine learning and/or IoT-enabled AI techniques (such as deep learning, computer vision, agent-based models) to real-world problems.
- A relevant publications track record in peer-reviewed journals and/or conferences.
- Experience in software design, documentation and management
- Preferably industrial experience and practical skills, including site work
- Expertise in a programming language like Python, Java, C/C++ or Matlab
- A track record of making effective independent contributions to collaborative teams
- Team player, with very good communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to work under pressure.
Benefits We Offer:
Salary: Grade 5, £32,816.00 per annum,
Further information on benefits can be found here. The KTP position also offers generous opportunities for professional development including via dedicated mentoring from industry and academia. KTP Associates manage a personal training budget and have access to a variety of KTP training modules.
Additional Information. Application Closing Date: 5th March 2021 at 23:59.
Interviews will be held around mid-March, with project starting as soon as possible.
The University is committed to inclusion, demonstrated through our work in respect of our diversity awards and accreditations (Advance HE’s Athena SWAN Charter) and hold Disability Confident, Carer Positive and Stonewall Scotland Diversity Champion status. More details here.