Data Analyst, Design and Construction
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Data Analyst position is fully competent to perform analytical work and other operational duties in the area of building design and construction. Tasks may include operations support, procedure and budget development, developing reports and presentations, key performance indicators, metrics and other areas. Incumbents are expected to exercise independent judgment in selecting study approach and analytical techniques, and in making sound recommendations.
- Plans and organizes complex studies relating to the activities or operations of the departments or functional areas to which assigned.
- Determines analytical techniques and information-gathering processes and obtains required information and data for analysis and will prepare presentations on analysis findings.
- Analyzes alternatives and makes recommendations regarding organizational planning.
- Conducts a variety of special projects and studies related to the functions of the department or functional area to which assigned.
- Assists in the development and implementation of department goals and objectives.
- Coordinates activities with those of other departments, depending upon the nature of the project to which assigned.
- Provides support to others on administrative and analytical matters.
- Analyze and reconcile time sheets against project forecasts. Prepares monthly reports that compare actual monthly and cumulative hours against forecast hours
- Provides monthly forecast and actual reports
- Analyze data for department monthly expenses to validate and report on anomalies
- Analyze expense reports by the department and validate costs against projects and other funding sources
- Prepare and process purchase requisitions and purchase orders for contract work and material purchases
- Assist to process invoices to be submitted to the Accounts Payable Office
- Three (3) or more years of experience in report writing and analysis, including extensive use and understanding of MS Access, Excel, Visio, Word, and Power Point.
- Bachelor’s degree in a Business, Finance, or a related degree, or 4 years or more years of experience working in higher education.
- Experience in finance, project management, research and data analysis, drawing actionable insights from raw data and synthesizing information to drive results.
- High attention to detail and accuracy. Communicate clearly and effectively both in speaking and in writing. Data analysis, word processing, spreadsheet, and some database capabilities. Extensive knowledge of Power Point, Word and Excel is essential.
- Ability to handle multiple projects, data input, strong problem-solving capability, excellent interpersonal/communication skills. Excellent writer and proficient verbal communication. Excellent data collection and systemization abilities. Exercising sound independent judgment within established guidelines. Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work and is a self starter. Commitment to Team Culture. Able to work independently with little supervision
- Able to work independently with little supervision
- Experience in the building design and construction