Manufacturing Support Associate
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Job Description Summary
The Gene Therapy Program (GTP) is entering a new era of unprecedented opportunity with the great potential to reshape the face of medicine as we know it. Our discoveries have set the stage for successful treatments and possibly even cures for devastating genetic diseases.
The laboratory of Dr. Jim Wilson, at GTP of the University of Pennsylvania, has been a leader in the development of innovative vector technology for close to three decades. We have emerged as the “go-to” organization for public and private partners, who want to participate in the gene therapy space. Currently, we are positioned to lead another round of vector innovation and establish pre-clinical and clinical proof-of-concept in therapeutic applications of in-vivo genome editing.
Continuation of all GTP positions is contingent upon funding.
Our Vector Core is a state-of-the-art facility which provides vector-related materials and services in support of basic and translational research worldwide, producing vectors in support of IND-enabling research, conduct GLP assays, oversee CMO's in vector production and is expanding to conduct state-of-the art process development.
Due to our program's growth, the Vector Core is looking to add a Manufacturing Support Associate to provide specialized laboratory assistance and materials management for our Preclinical Vector Manufacturing team.
As a Manufacturing, you will be responsible for inventory control and shipping of viral vectors as well as quality control oversight of documentation related to manufacturing activities.
Duties include, but not limited to:
- Inventory control: Pull vector from inventory for requesting GTP scientist or client order
- Shipping: Prepare and ship viral vectors to domestic and international customers; liaise with shipping company to coordinate shipments; maintain inventory of materials needed for shipping
- Customer Service: Send communications to clients regarding the details of their shipment; triage client inquires as needed and escalate appropriately.
- Documentation: Verify documentation and act as a witness for in-lab vector manufacturing activities; 1st review of batch records, escalating errors and omissions appropriately; ad-hoc report generation as request by supervisor
- Apply continuous improvement and Lean practices to manufacturing and supply processes.
This position will require you to work on-site during all scheduled working hours and may require some weekend hours as needed to support lab operations.
Joining GTP offers scientific professionals the unique opportunity of seeing research go from bench to bedside and discoveries that could one day lead to cures.
- HS Diploma required; Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, medical technology or related field preferred.
- 1-2 years of experience working in a relevant lab or manufacturing setting required.
- Previous experience working in a GMP/GLP environment preferred, but not required.
- Highly motivated individual capable of working independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks with a high level of detail.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
Perelman School of Medicine
$17.58 - $31.65
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.