Non-clinical lecturer in Dental Public Health
Successful candidate should have a PhD degree in Dental Public Health (DPH)/ Public Health/ Epidemiology, BDS or equivalent degree. MSc in DPH, MPH and teaching qualification are desirable. Experiences in teaching and assessment in undergraduate BDS programme, developing and updating curriculum, and experiences in academic administration are required. Research experiences and good track of high quality publications are essential. The main role of the post is teaching of Dental Public Health in the BDS programme and related activities which entail students' assessments and managing different aspects of the DPH course including online teaching and assessment materials. The Successful candidate will work closely with the lead of DPH curriculum for BDS programme and other academic staff in DPH and the Faculty of Dentistry, Oral & Craniofacial Sciences. The post holder will also be expected to participate in teaching and assessments in the MSc programme, supervise MSc and PhD students, write high quality research papers and research grant proposals.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract.
This is a full time post - 100% full time equivalent
- Teaching and related activities for DPH course for BDS programme. These include teaching, assessment, feedback, monitoring, and progress of undergraduate students. The postholder is also expected to develop and mark final BDS exams, in-course assessments and provide feedback and support for students. (The teaching may include seminars, tutorials and lectures as advised by the Course lead).
- Contribute to the course development and review process including update of teaching materials/ resources and introduction of new materials.
- Contribute to the update and development of new curriculum.
- Any additional teaching activities as seen by DPH UG course lead.
- Contribute to teaching, assessment and supervision of PGT students in DPH.
- Supervise PGR students along with other staff members in DPH and in the FoDOCS.
- Publish 3- and 4-star research papers using well-regarded means, such as high impact factor peer-reviewed academic journals and reputable publishers.
- Pursue and secure research grant fund.
- Develop national and international research collaboration
- Research activities should be complementary to the overall research strategy of DPH, Centre for Host Microbiome Interactions and FoDOCS.
- Take responsibility of management and organization of different aspects of DPH course of UG students across the 5 years of BDS programme with support from administrative staff.
- Management of online teaching and assessment materials related to DPH for UG with support from administrative staff.
- Attend different meeting related to teaching, assessments and curriculum development for BDS programme, and any other meetings relevant to KCL committees/ boards as required
- Attend relevant meeting related to teaching and assessment of PGT programme in DPH as required.
- Contribute to recruitment of PGR students.
- The postholder must at all times carry out their responsibilities with due regard to the KCL ethics, and Equal Opportunities policy.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- PhD in Public Health/ Dental Public Health/ Epidemiology
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery or equivalent dental qualification
- Knowledge of dental public health, oral epidemiology
- Knowledge of dentistry
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Research skills
- Appropriate IT skills
- Experience in teaching and assessment in UG programme
- Experience in publishing high quality research papers
- Experience in academic administration
- MSc in Dental Public Health
- Teaching qualification
Experience in teaching, assessment and supervising in PG programme
This advertisement does not meet the requirements for a Certificate of Sponsorship under Home Office regulations and therefore the university will not be able to offer sponsorship for this role.