Senior Lecturer, Department of Science, Mathematics and Technology Education, Faculty of Education
UP Posting - Academic
FACULTY OF EDUCATION
DEPARTMENT OF SCIENCE, MATHEMATICS AND TECHNOLOGY EDUCATION
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Curriculum development of and lecturing of modules in the programme(s) based in the department;
- Pursuing research activities such as own research, research-based publications and the supervision of post graduate students registered in the department;
- Developing, presenting and co-ordinating undergraduate and post graduate courses for pre-service and in-service teachers and other students for contact and distance presentation;
- Mentoring students for practice teaching/work integrated learning;
- Using a learning management system to develop and present courses;
- Presenting lectures and programmes in an E-learning environment;
- Providing a significant contribution to research outputs, post graduate teaching and supervision.
- PhD in Chemistry Education or Physical Science Education or Physics Education or Science Education;
- Teaching experience (at least three years) in Chemistry or Physical Science Education or Physics Education or Science Education at a Higher Education Institution and evidence of positive student evaluation or ratings;
- Evidence of at least five publications in accredited journals or an average of one article per year for the previous three years (or equivalent units);
- Experience of teaching practice/work integrated learning;
- Experience and expertise in curriculum development and policies in Chemistry or Physical Science Education or Physics Education or Science Education;
- Evidence of successful Masters or Doctoral supervision;
- Registration with SACE.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Appropriate language and communication skills;
- Ability to apply knowledge and skills in teaching and supervision;
- Ability to work as an individual and in a team;
- Knowledge of and experience of facilitation in an E-learning environment;
- Knowledge of the different knowledge fields in Physical Science and Chemistry Education;
- Knowledge of teaching methodologies in the different knowledge fields in Physical Science and Chemistry Education;
- Knowledge of the South African education system regarding Physical Science and Chemistry Education;
- Evidence of coordination responsibilities and membership of committees;
- Evidence of involvement in community engagement programmes;
- Evidence of membership of professional associations/organisations in Physical Science or Chemistry Education.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- NRF Rating;
- Membership of international scholarly bodies.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
- Teaching Portfolio;
CLOSING DATE: 8 November 2020
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 January 2021, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.