Senior Lecturer in Civil Engineering
Senior Lecturer in Civil Engineering
School of Engineering and the Built Environment
Location: Birmingham, England
Salary: £46,376 to £50,408 per annum
Closing Date: Sunday 15 November 2020
Interview Date: To be confirmed
We invite applications to join our integrated teaching and research teams in Birmingham City University’s School of Engineering and the Built Environment at Senior Lecturer level.
Located in a modern £300M campus in the heart of Birmingham City Centre, the School of Engineering and Built Environment is a thriving, vibrant, and inspiring learning community committed to excellence in research, high quality teaching, and industrial engagement. Building on continuous success in student growth and in sustained advancement of research activities, the School has embarked on a programme of extensive expansion funded by substantial long-term investment.
We invite applications to join our Civil Engineering team in the School of Engineering and Built Environment. For this role we are particularly seeking applicants with industry experience.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide an excellent student experience.
- Act in accord with the University’s strategy, policy and procedures.
- Use appropriate learning, teaching, support and assessment methods.
- Set and mark assessments and provide constructive feedback and feedforward.
- Assist in the supervision of student projects at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- Contribute to the design and development of high quality, up-to-date Civil Engineering courses.
- Contribute to the management, administration, and development of the course provision within the school.
- Engage in reflective practice as a method for identifying inhibitors and facilitators to performance.
- Participate in outreach activities to aid in recruitment.
- Conduct high quality research leading to publications in leading academic journals, and develop bids and partnerships for research funding.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Chartered Engineer status with one of the following professional bodies: ICE, IStructE, IHE, CHIT, or EurIng equivalent.
- Masters or Bachelor’s degree in a Civil Engineering discipline.
- Significant industrial experience with a consultant or contractor in an area of Civil Engineering.
- High-level knowledge, skill, and expertise in any area of Civil Engineering, such as Highways Engineering, Hydraulics & Hydrology, Structural & Infrastructure Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, or Civil Engineering Surveying.
- Experience with use of appropriate national and international design standards, such as the British Standard or the Eurocodes, depending on the discipline.
- Excellent presentation and teaching skills, as demonstrated by Higher Education teaching experience or regular presentations to industry.
- Excellent team working and communication skills.
- Industry experience with a UK-based Civil Engineering consultant or contractor.
- PhD in a Civil Engineering-related topic.
- Higher Education teaching experience.
- Knowledge of specialised software, relevant to the specific Civil Engineering discipline.
For an informal discussion of the post, please email Panagiotis Patlakas, Course Leader for Civil Engineering at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Expressions of interest in fractional appointments by practitioners will be considered.
As part of your application, please attach your CV, Covering Letter and Highest Qualification. Candidates are advised to remove personal information, including names to ensure a fair and transparent recruitment process.
CLOSING DATE FOR ADVERT AND APPLICATIONS IS SUNDAY 15 NOVEMEBR 2020