Postdoc Position in the Field of Environmental Epidemiology
The Bursar of the Faculty of Science, Masaryk University announces an open competition for the POSTDOC POSITION IN THE FIELD OF ENVIRONMENTAL EPIDEMIOLOGY
Workplace: RECETOX, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic
Working Hours: full time, 40 hours per week
Expected Start Date: as soon as possible, or negotiable with respect to immigration timelines for non-EU candidates
Application Deadline: October 31, 2020, or until the position is filled
EU Researcher Profile: R2
RECETOX Centre of Masaryk University carries out interdisciplinary research in the area of Environment & Health with a specific focus on assessment of toxic compounds, their adverse effects, and related environmental and health risks as well as new technologies and IT tools for linking environmental stressors to population health and mitigating their impacts (https://www.recetox.muni.cz/en).
The research group will benefit from the international partnerships of the Centre (University College London, ETH Zurich, IS Global Barcelona, Utrecht University etc.) and from access to state-of-the-art core facilities within RECETOX (https://www.recetox.muni.cz/en/services), CEITEC (https://www.ceitec.eu/core-facilities/) & other infrastructures across Masaryk University (https://www.muni.cz/en/research/large-research-infrastructure-projects).
The position will be supported by the R-Exposome from the H2020 programme (Project nr. 857487). The project aims to establish a world-class team to conduct pioneering research which investigates environmental exposures and their health outcomes.
Research topic and job description
- Handle, update and maintain the study dataset in relation to the project;
- Oversee derivation of area-based exposure data from external sources;
- Link spatial data to individual-level data;
- Conduct statistical analyses of the data;
- Draft manuscripts and reports in close collaboration with project leads;
- Take part in teaching activities of the centre as required;
- Co-supervise MSc projects.
Profile of the candidate
- PhD in medicine, epidemiology or other discipline using quantitative research methods achieved within the last 7 years;
- At least two publications in a biomedical journal;
- Proven experience with handling larger datasets with individual level data;
- Proven experience with quantitative statistical methods and relevant statistical software (Stata, SAS, R, SPSS etc);
- Some experience or knowledge of spatial statistical methods and/or GIS is desirable
- Interest in population health and determinants of diseases;
- Good communication skills;
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Vibrant working environment at RECETOX, access to state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Dynamic group surrounded by international team of experts
- Involvement in the international projects (HBM4EU, EXPANSE, OBERON, URBAN X, CETOCOEN Excellence etc.) and teams
- Brno provides high quality of life, University City with lots of culture, family friendly etc.
- Salaried University employee with healthcare and generous holidays
- Support from MU International office for relocation etc.
Brno provides high quality of life; University City with lots of culture, family-friendly etc. https://brnoregion.com/work
Application and selection process
Applicants should provide the following information in English
- Cover letter describing candidate's research interest and experience
- Summary of publications and research outputs
- Names and contact details of at least 2 professional referees
The deadline for applications is on 30 September 2020. A review of applications will run continuously as they are received and until the position is filled. The short-listed applicants complying with the requirements will be invited for personal or Skype interviews.
The application shall be submitted online via an e-application (Please, use the link in the e-Application section below). After submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, Barbora Chlubná.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with the principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers. Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided. The Faculty Recruitment Policy (OTM-R) can be seen here.
If we do not contact you within 30 working days after the application deadline at the latest, it means that we have shortlisted other candidates meeting the position requirements.
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Masaryk University is the second-largest university in the Czech Republic with nine faculties, more than 5000 staff, and more than 30 000 students. As a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing, our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education.
Faculty of Science MU, a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering university education (Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree programs) closely linked to both primary and applied research and high school teaching of the following sciences: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit of Masaryk University, generating around 40 % of MU research results.
Brno, the capital of the South Moravian Region, situated approximately halfway between Prague and Vienna, it is the largest university town in the Czech Republic and a modern metropolis with a long history and culture. Recognizing the university’s significant role in making Brno one of the most innovative cities in the CEE region, it continuously supports, together with the South Moravian Region, the local scientific, start-up, and high-tech communities.