Senior Information Assistant, Acquisitions
Job Profile Administration - Administrative Roles
Contract Type Permanent
BPP University is recruiting for a Senior Information Assistant at Birmingham. As part of the Library and Information Services (LIS) team the Senior Information Assistant - Acquisitions will manage the collections and library space at Birmingham, and provide support for the acquisitions function nationally, helping to ensure the library collections meet the needs of students across BPP University centres.
The role would be based in the BPP Birmingham centre at least 3 days a week, with the opportunity/flexibility of working from home up-to 2 days a week.
The post-holder is expected to:
- be proactive in maintaining the library environment and ensuring that it is conducive to studying;
- answer routine enquiries and refer as appropriate;
- monitor and report on student usage and demand and ensure that there is appropriate communication with other members of the LIS team;
- maintain the hardcopy collections including the receipt, cataloguing, processing, repair and discarding of materials, ensuring loan materials meet the needs of the students (including the identification of high-demand items);
- participate in library projects such as stock audits and stock checks;
- develop legal and general research skills in order to help and advise staff and students in making use of print and electronic resources;
- deliver library induction and research training sessions as required;
- assist the Acquisitions Library Manager (National) with the day-to-day administration of the acquisitions function and provide support for special projects as required;
Department University Education Services - Library
Vacancy location UK, Midlands, Birmingham
- Educated to degree-level.
- Good levels of IT literacy including Microsoft Office Programmes (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Customer service experience.
- Experience of delivering user education.
- Experience of using hard-copy and electronic library information resources.
- Strong customer service ethic and excellent customer service skills.
- Team player who is able to work effectively as part of a local and national team.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Able to present to and engage a student audience.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines.
- Awareness of own training and development needs and an ability to identify how they may be met.
Reporting Manager Job Title
Acquisitions Library Manager (National)
Contract Hours 37.50